Return to the Farm Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Predator got one of my ducks

Posted by luv_kitsch kansas (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 30, 13 at 20:34

Hi, I just recently got 2 baby call ducks. I've had them for 2 months now. I've gotten very attached to them. They have so much personality. They are free range during the day. We have a 3 acre pond. In the evening, they go into their pen. Unfortunately, I found the male duck this afternoon. Not sure what got it, either a hawk or maybe a fox or a coyote? I'm heartbroken, but more concerned about the surviving duck. I put her in her pen. She's quacking and very upset. I've heard that ducks are social and need to be around other ducks. Any suggestions? Should I try to get another one?? Does it matter if they are not the same breed? I want the female duck to be happy. If giving her to a home with lots of other ducks is the answer, I would be willing to do that.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Predator got one of my ducks

Yes, you should try to get another one. But ducks are seasonal breeders, not lifetime pairs like geese. So she will get over it.

No it doesn't matter if they aren't the same breed. Ducks are ducks.... Except for Pekin drakes. They're a large and heavy breed, so if they do get around to mating, it may be a bit dangerous.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Farm Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here