Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
msjay2u

anyone ever use electric netting?

msjay2u
15 years ago

I am thinking of getting some electric netting so I cn move put my goats in specific areas around the yard for short periods. Has anyone used it and if yes pros cons please.

thanks

Here is a link that might be useful: looking at something like this

Comments (5)

• yakimadn
    15 years ago

Myself, no. But there are several sheepherders in the area that use it and another uses it to contain poultry.Seems to be pretty good stuff.

Dave

• Beeone
    15 years ago

I've used it with sheep for the past several years. Works well. Occasionally I have had a lamb go under where it went over a ditch, so be sure to drop a few boards over anything that way so the goats don't go under.

Couple things to remember--this fence is not a physical barrier, it is a psychological one. Never leave it off with the livestock, they will figure out it won't bite pretty quickly and you'll end up with a torn or trampled fence.

Next, make sure the grass is short where you put it out. Grass touching the hot wires will short the fence out and leave it ineffective. I take the riding mower out and mow a path across the pasture before putting the fence in and have no problems. If I don't, I have no electric in the fence.

Keep your ground moist, also, when moving the fence. It is very difficult to push the posts into dry ground, and hammering on the posts can break them or you may end up bending the spikes that go into the ground. With moist ground, you just push it in by hand with little effort.

I use a solar fencer to keep it hot so I don't have to keep checking the battery.

• runningtrails
    15 years ago

We're thinking of using it for feeder piglets in the spring, on pasture. That way we can move it to a different place each year and get our overgrown pastures manured and dug up for us.

• msjay2u
    Original Author
    15 years ago

sorry I have not been on here for a while but I had another death in my family. Not a good year for us!

It is strange that you mention the grass shorting out the fence. My fence has not worked your months and I just found out that it is because grass was growing under it.

So now I really do not have a need for the electric netting BUT I think I am going to get some anyway because I can use it to let the chickens out and move the goats around the yard.

One problem I do have is thatI have some dips in my landscaping. How have you guys dealt with that in elation to your elec fence.

• Beeone
    15 years ago

Dips are difficult. I almost always have to cross a ditch, so you have high sides and a deep trench in the middle. What ends up happening is the stakes in the fence never work out to plant one in the top of one of the ditch banks, so the fence folds down on the humps, but as long as it doesn't tough the ground it is OK (I scalp the grass on the humps). Other than the ditch itself, the sides are sloping enough that there is never more than a couple inches of gap to the ground, so I just leave the grass a little higher so it "looks" like there is really no gap. For the ditch, throwing an old fence post or board across the ditch in front of the fence does the trick sometimes I stick a few branches in the ditch also if there is no water flowing, and I've done the same where I ended up with more than a couple inches of gap on the sides--sometimes it took a 6 or 8 foot board to cross the gap. The post doesn't block the hole, it just forms an impediment that the sheep don't like to go under to get through. With pigs that are used to rooting, it might be different, though. You could take some dry wooden stakes or other non-conducting material to hold the electric wire up on the humps or notch it to hold the wire down in the dips, though.

Sponsored
Dream Design Construction LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Loudoun County's Innovative General Contractors