Return to the Farm Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Question about electric fencing for pigs?

Posted by Agapefarmfhl California (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 21, 13 at 22:50

Hello, My wife and I are thinking about putting a few pigs out on my boss' property, We would bring in a lot of horse manure and wood chips for them to compost and then we would butcher them at the end of the year. I was wondering how much electric fence it would take to keep a pig enclosed? one wire 6" off ground? or 2 wires, one high and one low? any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Allen Lee

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Question about electric fencing for pigs?

2 Wires is what we used back in 50's it work better inside net wire fence the electric wire keep off net wire. Hogs root all time and ground out bottom wire feeder and water need to be in center pin to much rough tumbling around water and feed. The bottom wire helps if barbwire in case current off still has some detainment Sharpe barbs.

o
RE: Question about electric fencing for pigs?

I used to raise hogs. It will take a HOT energizer. 14 joule plus. What kind of vegetation does the property have to feed these hogs? How big would they be in the start?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Farm Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here