Return to the Farm Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
wheezing hen and meds.

Posted by claraserena 4 (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 7, 08 at 23:20

A couple days ago I noticed a Buff Orphington hen was making funny hiccupping/squeak sounds and then realized she was wheezing. I have her in a separate cage that t just brought in the house where it is warm and dry. Her poop is a little thin and whitish. I don't see anything else abnormal.
She is still squeaking a lot and hasn't eaten much. But until I brought her in she was very active and appeared healthy.
I got Sulmet "drinking water solution" and mixed some in her water (2 T/gallon). But it seems like she will get very little medication as it would take her a long time to drink a gallon of water. I don't know how much she has drunk. Is there another form of Sulmet (or other meds--I have read posts suggesting many different drugs)? She is making little wheezing-crying sounds at regular intervals (she's 3 feet away from me now). I just don't understand the dosage for one chicken for this problem. The other chickens seem fine.
Im worried about her as she is obviously not breathing right.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: wheezing hen and meds.

I hate to say that I lost a bird with those symptoms a few weeks ago. She was making that wheezing noise and I could see that her breathing was labored. Otherwise, she ran and ate as normal. Thankfully none of my other birds have any symptoms. I hope someone can answer your question as I would be interested in what I should have done or if it will help. Lori

o
RE: wheezing hen and meds.

claraserena:

Velvetsparrows web site is a good one to go to.

http://jackshenhouse.com/VSChickhealth.htm

I hope this helps.

Nelda

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Farm Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here