Return to the Farm Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pygmy Goats, Chickens, & Pigs

Posted by gardendawgie (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 21, 09 at 23:29

Well I hope we all agree the Seramas are the king of the tiny chickens. There are Pygmy goats and tiny pigs. Are there small sheep and cows. What am I missing.

Today I just learned about small pigs. But I am wondering if anyone here has any experience with tiny pigs. I guess some are about the size of a big house dog. 30 to 60 pounds.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pygmy Goats, Chickens, & Pigs

I know of mini herefords and mini scottish highlands.

o

Dexters are small black cattle that any one can handle.

o

Vietnamese Pot Belly pigs have been around for many decades. The key to keeping them small is food that is high in nutrition and low in carobs and fat. They now make a food especially for them. They are very loving, smart and love to ride in a car. Some love kids while others can get nippy. They are easily trained and house broken. Some even potty train them to use the toilet and flushing afterwards. They can be underfoot like a terrier (very attention needy).

They have other breeds but I only have experience with Pot Belly pigs.

o

I used to raise pot belly pigs. This time around I'm going with guinea hogs. Easy to keep, safer around kids, easy to fence in or pen, easy to butcher.

o

My potbellies are just over 100 pounds.
That, is still a tiny pig.
And dexters can be difficult to handle, they still weight 600-1000 pounds... and come in 3 colours not just black. They can kick too!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Farm Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here