Return to the Farm Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
my chicken died

Posted by tamara_xxoo (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 23, 07 at 0:27

my pet chicken died this morning but we dont no what of.About a week ago she stopped eating,drinking and laying eggs so we thought she had a cold so we kept her warm then afew days ago she lost all her energy and all she did was sit on the ground and she went really skinny and her comb on the top of her head went purple do you no what she died of?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: my chicken died

oh. that's terrible. her comb going purple sounds like lungs and or heart to me but i don't really know. how old was she and what kind?

o

I'm so sorry you lost your pet. :(

Is it possible she had worms? Losing weight mysteriously, without indications of suffering from any specific disease or ailment is referred to as 'going light'. It does happen sometimes. There are many things that could have happened to her, from something she ate that was toxic, to Coccidiosis, to proventriculitis (an obstruction in her digestive tract) to tumors-- there would be no way to tell short of an x-ray and visit to the vet.

The purple comb could indicate poor circulation (was it shrunken as well?), which again could be caused by a number of things, including worms.

Do you have any other chickens? If so, if at all possible you should check the dead hens' poops for worms. If you see worms in her poop you need to worm the rest of your flock ASAP.

I've got more on my chicken info site here, it might help you narrow down what happened.

http://home.earthlink.net/~velvetsparrow/VSChickHealth.htm

Velvet ~:>

o

what about mites? My rooster died this way too..then I found out he was infested with mites an he became anemic. I treated the rest,but he didn't make it :(

o

beeliz, mites can cause this, also, but usually a healthy bird can preen itself and keep mites under control--if the bird is suffering from another ailment (or old age) however, mites are opportunistic little beasts and can quickly turn the tables on the bird and overwhelm it--illness or other parasites are a perfect gateway for mites. :( Mite outbreaks on their own certainly aren't unheard of, but a lot of times they are a symptom of a larger problem. Depends on the type of bird as well--I have to keep a closer eye on my feather footed cochins and the Polish girls' head poofs for mites, those areas are more difficult for the bird to preen effectively.

o
curious

I have six hens..about 3 mo...I let them roam in an enclosed fence area..It is not too high and I think maybe one of them jumped the fence..it was late and the five other hens were already inside...My wife and I searched with flashlights for about a half an hour to no avail..In the morning she was back in the enclosure clucking like nothing had happened. Where could she have gone.? I thought for sure she would be night food..I live in the woods..I am getting a higher fence today....lol.

o

Look for a hidden nest of eggs! Especially if she starts to exhibit signs of broodiness--fluffed up, clucking and being bad-tempered.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Farm Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here