Return to the Farm Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hewetta the Cornish X is now 32weeks old

Posted by seramas 4/5 SW MI (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 20, 08 at 1:39

Hewetta is now 32 weeks old. Her weight is about 31 pounds +/- 2 lbs. She lays an egg every other day. She is a very good mouser and she still waddles but that is because of the broad breastbone and wide hip placement. She doesn't have any hip/leg problems due to the Vitamin/mineral supplements and proper dietary protein levels as she was growing. She eats about one cup of 15% layer, all the mice she can catch and plenty of busy foods (apples,greens, squash...) each day.

In September we bought 100 day old Cornish X cockerels and received 104. Lost 2 chicks the first night to a cat, at first we thought it was a rat but 2 days later caught the cat 'red pawed' reaching into the tub to get another McChick snack. At 5 weeks old we lost 4 to some neighborhood kids that have been steeling from us regulary.

We still have 98 left and plan to butcher them next weekend.

The key to being successful with them is nutrition. They will develop hip problems (hip perthes) and congestive heart conditions due to poor nutrition during extremely rapid growth. So if you don't want to add extra vit/min supplement to their water and feed a 23%+ protein Broiler feed their entire life (7-10 week) do them a favor and don't get them.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hewetta the Cornish X is now 32weeks old

I would love to see a picture of Henrietta!

o

Visit http://www.virgilwalters.com/ to see pictures of Hewetta and Friends.

o

Looks like she's thriving! We had one Cornish X that lived to about 9 months and another we killed at about 11 months--she had very few feathers by that time and was not getting around well.

o

seramas, You need to add a couple of geese to your flock, that ought to take care of theiving neighbourhood kids!
Hewetta looks great! My 47 broilers have about 3 weeks left. This is my first time with meat birds, I'm amazed (shocked/frightend?) at how fast they grow. It's a little freakish.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Farm Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here