Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bulldinkie

Any Plans For New Animals On Farm?

bulldinkie
13 years ago

I want to get 2 goats,

I think hubbys is gonna need to get anew horse.We bought 2 tennessee walker gelding years ago.They are in thier 20s.The one he goes on horseback riding trips pretty often.He loves that horse but they are almost 30.

Id love to breed the texas longhorns but My health made a bad turn,I go for dialysis 3xs a week.I need a kidney,he works construction ,his own company so theres not much time for extras right now.That was so much fun watching them at calving time.You never knew what you were getting,a brown bull,a red cow youd get a black&white calf.

Comments (6)

• oregonwoodsmoke
    13 years ago

I hope to get some pheasant chicks in the spring to put in the freezer in the fall.

I might try a couple of chickens in the orchard to see if they can get the grasshoppers under control. Or, I might get some guinea hens instead. I'd prefer the guineas, but the orchard isn't covered, so the chickens would be much less financial loss if the eagles got them.

If you get goats, have secure fencing. They can be escape artists and they are notorious for destroying plant life. Make sure they can't get access to any plants you want to keep.

• bulldinkie
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I heard guineas,I heard have the habit of running off.I had a flock in my farm last year,left as fast as they came.
    I had a big goat years ago.

• goodhors
    13 years ago

We will be getting a calf in the spring for 4-H. They call it Prospect Beef, has to be under 500# by Fair. You sell them to folks wanting a meat animal for next year. DD had one last summer, he was pretty nice and she made money on him at Fair Auction.

Not sure if she will be doing Market Lambs for 4-H again or not. She is looking for a job, getting ready for College expenses. May not have enough time for everything. You have to handle your animals a lot, so they show well, walk them to get conditioned for meat production.

That is it for new animals, and these would only be staying for the summer.

We have a recently purchaed 3yr old horse, who will be getting worked with under saddle. She has about 30 days on her this summer, so she needs a lot more time to develop her "power steering". She will be 4 next summer, more ready to learn by then. She seems quite nice, just very immature yet. Talking of doing some camping and trail riding with DD and all the young horses. Nothing like a long day under saddle to take out the silliness! Glad to stop and stand for a while, no dancing along, walk is easier. All about learning to work. Horses do sleep hard at night after going 10-15 miles, just like the kids!!

• iammarcus
    13 years ago

I only have two goats so I teether them when I take them out to pasture. Mine are'nt very strong so I can chain them to a concrete block and move the block around the pasture. I make sure the chain doesn't reach any of my fruit trees. Laying hens are next, but I'll have to hide them since my wife hates anything with feathers.
    Dan

• lily51
    13 years ago

we've never had goats, just steers, sheep and pigs. However, a neighbor bought several goats last summer to run loose in a fenced-in woodlot to clean it up, and they have done just that.
    Also know people who raise them for their milk.
    Anyone ever hear of fainting goats? They're very interesting..one of my husband students raised them.

• calliope
    13 years ago

I dislike seeing them bred for their novelty. It's a genetic defect, actually. Yes, I've seen them....had a friend who raised them. I raise animals for their use, and genetic defects are something I wouldn't want bred into a bloodline. Speaking of goats, I've been considering some dairy goats. My daughter had goats when she was here, but more for pets than anything else. I ran the milk cow idea past my husband and he nixed it big time. LOL. So, I figure if I ask for cows, he'll be relieved if I settle for goats.