Return to the Farm Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tractor Questions for School Project

Posted by holcombt Ca (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 10, 13 at 8:57

Hello! I am new to this forum and I am hoping to get some help with a farm project I am doing for my farm implements class. I have to come up with an equipment list for a mock alfalfa farm (500 acres) and I am having a really hard time figuring out what type of tractor to use. Can anyone help? Would a 2WD work or should I go with a 4WD? I need to be able to pull various implements for tillage, seeding, harvesting, baling etc. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tractor Questions for School Project

Generally, you would use more than one. The tractor should be matched to the power needs of the implement you are pulling. Generally the biggest power need is for the plow, and a 5 or 6 (or more) bottom plow will need a larger tractor than a 3 bottom plow. Then you will have a disk or roller harrow, which can take a smaller tractor again depending on its width. On top of that, you may want a pretty small tractor for pulling a rake or other lightweight jobs. A 4 wheel drive tractor gives you more ability to apply the tractor's power to the ground without slippage, but a 2WD tractor can do just as well with duals on it. Then again, as you move up in horsepower, you need power to more wheels to avoid excessive slippage.

All that said, a tractor of around 100 hp is probably able to handle most of the equipment needs without being excessively over or under sized, with maybe the exception of plowing where you would need to use a smaller plow than is standard these days.

Jump on the Calif. Ag Extension website and search for crop budgets as these will generally give you a pretty good list of common equipment. Many states will have their own budgets through the Ag Extension listings at the land grant university.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Farm Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here