o
Does goat taste like lamb?

Posted by keepitlow 6/7 (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 16, 09 at 9:20

If not, what does it taste like?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Does goat taste like lamb?

The goats we raised for meat did not taste like lamb, more like beef. We raised Boer goats for meat and really enjoyed the meat. We had a lot of it in ground meat and chops. We cooked the legs like a leg of lamb. Nice, lean meat. I have never acquired a taste for lamb, always seemed perfumey to me. We fed our meat goats grass hay and a meat builder type of grain. As with any meat animal, they are what they eat, so what you feed them always has an influence on the taste of the meat.

o

Thanks!

o

I just have to say this. It tastes like chicken!! Not really. LOL

o

I agree with Oberhasli1. It taste like a mild beef. Much lighter color than beef. More like pork in color. I found the meat to have a stringier grain than beef. Great in stew and bbq. Just about any way you fix beef or pork.

Oberhasli - you said you raise boers. Any obies. I've got a herd of unreg. obies I'm rebuilding. (Had 120 head last year but getting down to just a few. Busy with grandkids these days. I usually cross mine out a little to keep them hardier. I haven't found too many in my neck of the woods that raise obies. So my choice of breeding stock is limited.

o

Mike, yes I raise Oerhasli's. We sold our breeding stock of Boers when my son went off to college. We have had Obers for 12 years. I don't know where you live but we are in Black Forest, Colorado. I have quite a few friends that raise Oberhasli's as well here and one of them is having a herd reduction sale right now so if you would like to email me privately (bijou@datawest.net) we can talk.

Bonnie

o

Chevon is much leaner than mutton, and all goats can be a little gamey (especially if a functional billy is around). Cabrito/Kid is similar to lamb, but with a texture more like that of lean beef or bison. It becomes difficult describe the taste at this point, much like comparing pears to apples. Goat meat can actually be rather sweet at times, not as sweet as muskox (which, barring you moving far north you probably cannot find) but noticeable.

o

I've heard the same thing about the functional billy influencing taste of goat. I don't think it tastes anything like lamb, either.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Farm Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here