Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
claraserena

Palin and turkey

claraserena
15 years ago

Re the Palin interview with the turkey being bled out in a killing cone behind her--many of the articles speak of a man stuffing a turkey into a grinder!

Comments (10)

• pamghatten
    15 years ago

I saw the footage, I didn't think it was a grinder ... but it was a large metal cone shaped thing that they stuck the turkey into head first.

Anyone know?

• carmen_grower_2007
    15 years ago

It was a simple cone where the guy cut the artery to allow the turkey to bleed out. Very simple, very humane. Amazing that people get upset about where their food comes from!

• carmen_grower_2007
    15 years ago

Here is the link. If somebody has a problem with how their turkey is killed, they should probably eat a tofurkey.

Here is a link that might be useful: Palin at a turkey farm

• mersiepoo
    15 years ago

I used to do that (I mean bleed my birds using a traffic cone), but I gave it to my father in law. So now I just shoot them with a .22 instead.

• claraserena
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I just thought it was funny that whoever wrote the article saw an upside down cone with a turkey neck sticking out the bottom and assumed the turkey was being ground up in the cone.
    I wish the writer had taken he time to find out about the killing method and used the article to teach readers how it's done.

• mxbarbie
    15 years ago

Wow, I hope that guy is getting paid by the bird and not by the hour...lol I wonder what would happen if people saw the whole process!

Once again the sheeple get freaked out by the TV and a huge drama ensues. I honestly don't know how people get through life without being consious.

claraserena you are correct they missed a great opportunity to educate there, but I think that most people don't really care or they don't want to know where their food comes from. They just roll down the window or put down the menu or press the buttons on the microwave and PRESTO. Dinner by magic. Gross.

• velvet_sparrow
    15 years ago

I saw the YouTube video, it was bizarre to say the least. Since most people these days have no idea how animal slaughtering is done, to have it going on in the background during a basic political interview, that didn't have anything to DO with turkeys, animal rights, small farm rights, what have you, was beyond strange. She could have just as easily held it in a morgue while an autopsy was going on or anywhere else where what was going on in the background was so obviously designed to shock and distract from what she was saying.

It's like her publicist hates her, or something. *L* I agree, HUGE missed opportunity to educate and try and come across as a down-to-earth, grounded person.

I love how the guy doing the turkeys keeps checking to make sure he's still in the shot, and that what he's doing can be seen. Just...odd. The entire thing is surreal in about 9 different ways.

Velvet ~:>

• christie_sw_mo
    15 years ago

lol
    I thought it sounded like something that will become a classic Saturday Night Live skit. SNL and other late night shows must just love it when politicians do strange things.

• dreamgarden
    15 years ago

I enjoy eating turkey and understand HOW they get to my table, but I thought the clip was in poor taste.

• brendan_of_bonsai
    15 years ago

I think that for most Alaskans its a non issue, she might as well have done the interview where sheep were being shorn, and it was an interview for an anchorage TV station, not the national stage.