Return to the Farm Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Vitamin B for hens?

Posted by marlingardener 8b Texas (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 18, 08 at 10:36

On another post, Seramis suggested that vitamin B complex be given to laying hens. Sounds like a great idea to me, but how often should the girls get their vitamin B?
I'd also like to thank everyone who takes the time to answer posts, suggest solutions to problems, and give advice. Even when one hasn't posted the question, one can benefit from all the good replies. As a new chicken owner (servant is more like it!) I do really appreciate all the knowledge available here.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Vitamin B for hens?

It should be daily. You can buy a water soluble vitamin blend at your feed store and mix it in all the drinking water. But when you do this it should be changes every 24 hours so don't mix more that they will drink up each day.

In the fall I use store bought high potency B-Complex and dissolve 1 caplet per quart of warm water (110 -120 F). Then add 2 qts of layer crumbles and give to all the hens. It won't hurt the Roos if the get the extra energy boost. Never give individual B vitamins they should always be in the form of B-complex for the fact that they are only used fully if you have many other 'support' vitamins in order to work.

You should be cautioned that if you have a bird that is a diabetic they may develop leg/foot pain/tingling if their B-complex intake is too high. If you notice a bird with difficulty walking or walks with a limp after starting this, chances are they are diabetic and need their B-complex intake reduced. That is about the only problem I have noticed. I now check each bird for diabetes before including them in any breeding program.

o
RE: Vitamin B for hens?

Seramas,
Thank you for the explanation. I'll get some B complex when I go to town this week, and start the ladies on their vitamin regimen. I printed out your reply and put it in my "chicken book" with the other valuable information I've picked up from this site.
Sorry I misspelled your post name.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Farm Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here