Return to the Farm Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Polycythemia in goats??!!

Posted by laturcotte1 (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 3, 09 at 12:45

My goat has just been diagnosed with polycythemia. Of course my vet, who by the way is wonderful, can't find anything on this in goats. protein +, creatinine -, glucose 39 (50-75 norm), RBC way +.

He will get fluids tomorrow a.m. then blood drawn p.m.

I guess I'm not sure when enough is enough. If the RBC doesn't come down and we can't get the glucose up that's bad news. The thing is he doesn't have a single pulmonary issue.

We have a dog that's very sick, our blind pony was just diagnosed with a tumor (poss brain/eye). Don't think I can afford this!!! How can I justify putting him down if he isn't "sick". We are worried that the low glucose will cause him to have a seizure!!

Any advice??

Lee Ann

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Polycythemia in goats??!!

Never heard of it.

Here's a link from Merck's you may or may not be familiar with.
Perhaps it may help. Good Luck

Here is a link that might be useful: Polycythemia

o
RE: Polycythemia in goats??!!

I'm sorry to hear about your goat. Know nothing about them though. Hope he gets better.

I can relate to vet bills. My show mare is a miracle horse. She nearly severed her hoof off at the end of May. By the grace of God and good vets, I am now riding her again. After the accident, we just prayed that she would live.

So with that said, after her 2 surgery's plus multiple days at clinic and other visits. Her bill was 4 figures.

Since May with that happening to Jolie, she also had to have 5 stitches above her eye where she cut herself. $175 for 5 stitches.

The list goes on and on. Country my dog, urinary tract infection. Sonny colic. Elfie (cat) - urinary tract. Shy (dog) - Whiney beat him up and he couldn't move his neck. Remadryl.

So after all this, what I'm getting at is I feel your pain or should I say your financial crunch. But, all in all, I would rather be broke than see any of my fur children suffer.

Ramona

Here is a link that might be useful: MY BLOG

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Farm Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here