Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carmen_grower_2007

Barn cat with eye problem

carmen_grower_2007
15 years ago

It looks like his eyes are only slits at the top and the bottom is covered with white. Is this a serious problem? If it is something familiar to any of you, please tell me. If I can treat it with something myself, I will. I can't imagine a barn cat existing if he is blind and I sure hope that isn't what is happening to him. He is healthy in every other way -- shiny coat, affectionate and strong.

No, taking him to a vet isn't going to happen.

Comments (9)

• seramas
    15 years ago

Worst case it Sounds like distemper. If he begins to drool from the mouth, discharge from the nose, weight loss you may want to put him down so it doesn't spread to others. Tractor Supply has a good selection of Meds to prevent several different cat diseases all in one shot. It is something you might want to give all your cats and if there is some left share it (and the cost) with your neighbors who haven't treated their cats. It is so much cheaper than vet visits.

Hopefully it is just a slight cold. You can gently clean the eyes with a soft cloth dipped into a Boric Acid solution (follow the directions that come with the Boric Acid container).

Beware, there is nothing more dangerous than giving a cat a pill or shot. Good luck.

• Dibbit
    15 years ago

One thing you might do is to use a hot compress on the eye. Take as large a container of as hot water (the hotter the better) as you can manage to the barn, or wherever he is comfortable being handled. Add either Epsom salts or plain salt - when I was making an eye compress for horses, I used a scant handful in about a quart of water, but you can use a bit less salt if you want - and then dip a washcloth or other small piece of terry cloth in the mixture, wring it nearly dry, fold it to size, and hold it over the eye until it cools off. Repeat as long as the cat will let you or until the water is too cool. Wearing rubber gloves will let you deal with hotter water than bare hands, and may prevent scratches if the cat objects. Help may be needed.

You can also look in your local healthfood store for eyebright or Euphrasia, an herb used frequently for eye problems. You MIGHT find the herb, or a prepared tincture. If the herb, boil a teaspoon in a cup of water for 5 min., let cool and gently drop a few drops into the eye several times a day - you may need help and need to wear gloves for this - or use a cloth and gently wipe over the eye, getting a little in if you can. If you can find a tincture, then follow the dilution directions on the bottle.

• carmen_grower_2007
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, I will try these suggestions. The cats all had their shots when they were 5 mos. old and were spayed/neutered but nothing since and they are almost 3 years old now. They don't come in contact with any other cats but maybe that doesn't matter as far as distemper goes.

I sure hope it isn't something serious.

• seramas
    15 years ago

Distemper is carried by many different mammals. If it is one of about 20+ 'cat cold virus' (distemper) and it is best to use Boric Acid. It is used to clean the crusted mucus in human babies, children's and adults eyes. It is soothing and doesn't sting when use as directed. It has the ability to slow the virus's progression where salts only mimic the bodies natural secretions. Boric Acid can be purchased in any pharmacy real cheap and has a shelf life of many years. It was use regularly for years until chemical companies developed chemical copies with sidebar molecules so they can get patents that allow them to be the exclusive producers of a bad carbon copy that has side affects (hence sidebar molecules=side effects). I'll step off my bio-chemists soapbox now.

Keep the cloth quite moist so it can soften the dry crust that is holding the eye closed. Don't rub the eye and don't use Q-tips as they could damage the eye if the cat struggles.

My wife has 18 cats and she wraps them snugly in large bath towels leaving only the head sticking out. She also has an additional towel that she can loosely cover the cats head to calm it if it becomes too frighten.

• carmen_grower_2007
    Original Author
    15 years ago

There is no mucus or discharge, the eye is just barely open. Now our puppy (6 mos. old) has it too. Her shots are all up to date if that helps.

• cpp6318
    15 years ago

All eye problems here get treated with a "dry tube" which is an antibiotic used in a cows uterus at the time of dry off. There isn't much residue but the antibiotics are broad spectrum and long lasting and will kill just about any bacterial infection involved. One tube will last you for years and it comes in a syringe so you don't need to buy one. If that doesn't clear it up, then you have a viral infection which antibiotics won't help or hurt.

• seramas
    15 years ago

Shots do not work 100%, but they do lessen the severity of the infections. Boosters maybe required for continued protection every so many years. The dog can get distemper also. Simply use the Boric Acid as I suggested above for both or take them to the Vet. They sound like they are more than just animals to you.

• gardengalrn
    15 years ago

I just got a vaccine from our vet to (pre) treat our cats for the colds they most always get during cold weather. It doesn't sound like what your cat has if he doesn't have discharge or other cold-like symptoms but I'm sure there are quite a few different viruses and bacteria they can have. This is FYI if others have a bunch of outside cats like I do. Our vet gave me a discount for buying in "bulk," LOL, for 6 cats. It is a liquid that you put either in food or water for 10 days. The cats can't overdose on it. He said the most common cold for cats is the herpes virus so antibiotics won't cure it or ward it off unless they end up with a secondary bacterial infection, also very common. He said that virus settles on your property and is almost impossible to get rid of once it has started. The cats stay generally healthy until cold weather stresses their system. As someone mentioned above, it is not 100% effective in warding it off but boosts their immune system a bit. I'll let you know how it worked. Last winter ALL the cats were sick with runny noses/eyes and sneezing. Sorry for stealing your thread but wanted to pass on the info. Lori

• Nicole Mosier
    2 years ago

I would just try to keep it clean with a rag, and if you can get something to help with eye problems.

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler