Return to the Farm Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rooster with broken wing?

Posted by mary_d_ia z4/5 IA (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 29, 08 at 15:10

Need info on how to treat a broken wing. We think our rooster was attacked by a bird dog that was with hunters. One wing is hanging low, but not dragging. He has a puncture wound on his back that seems ok. He has no tail feathers. He was seen drinking and eating a little. I had to "get rid of him" since he doesn't seem to be suffering and if we can help him. mary d

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rooster with broken wing?

I am not an injury expert, but it seems to me like bandaging the wing in place is a good first step until someone else can give you a more complete answer. worst case scenario is that it heals in the closed position and he can't extend it fully, meaning he can;t fly well, better than having it hanging out at an odd angle at least.

o

I've used 2 Popsicle sticks and super glue. I takes 2 people-one holding and the other doing. Stretch wing out and align the broken bone(s) place a ps stick along the break on the top side holding it firmly in place then squirt glue along each side of the stick between wing and stick. Repeat for the bottom side. Wrap wing to body with ace bandage tight enough to keep wing from getting caught on things. It will mend in approximately in 3-4 weeks. The glue will come loose on it's own about the same time that the bones are mended enough to go without support.

o

Thanks for picking up where my knowledge failed sermas.

mary_d_ia it occurs to me that you may want to increase the protein and calcium in the diet during this time.

o

If feeding a 16% layer ration your protein and calcium are on the high side for any male poultry requirements. Any higher will cause calcium deposits in muscles, joints and kidneys in the Rooster.

brendan_of_bonsai,

May I recommend a good technical read:

Nutrient Requirements of Poultry
The Ninth Revised Edition, 1994
written by the Subcommittee on Poultry Nutrition, the Committee on Animal Nutrition Board on Agriculture and the National Research Council

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Farm Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here