Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
johanna_h_gw

Rooster spurs

johanna_h
14 years ago

Hmm, thought I posted this earlier but it never showed up. Must have missed the second ok!

I am wondering how people feel about removing spurs. Do you do it? What method do you use? Or do you feel the rooster can better protect the flock with its spurs?

My Egglebert has become a bit aggressive to me and a friend suggested that I remove his spurs to reduce the potential harm. It sounds like a simple twist with the pliers is all that's necessary?

Thanks for feedback.

--Johanna

Here is a link that might be useful: Busy Solitude Farm

Comments (8)

• nhsuzanne
    14 years ago

Johanna, we remove (trim) our roosters because he appears to have trouble walking when they are too long. I use a sturdy pair of pliers that make a clean cut. I do not cut them too shore/ always err on the long side. The spurs are really hard and hard to cut. My rooster does not use his spurs as a weapon but I do keep them trimmed and he is an agreeable fellow when it's that time.

• posy_pet
    14 years ago

My roosters spurs were growing straight up towards his body and even into his legs.I thought maybe it was keeping him from breeding.You just bend the spurs off with pliers but there are new ones underneath.It was so much easier than I had anticipated.It did not affect his fertility tho.Posy_Pet

• eyecndiggit
    14 years ago

You need to establish dominance. Cutting the spurs does not reduce agressiveness. It's not any easy, safe or useful procedure.
    Get a newspaper. Open it all the way up and roll it up long ways so you have a nice long roll about the length of a baseball bat. That gives you a good reach and can't cause any damage. Walk up to the rooster, start stomping your feet and start slapping him with the newspaper. Follow him and keep slapping. Stomp your feet some more. Then turn your back to him and stand there. If he comes at you start slapping him again. The next time you come out have the newspaper and just slap it into your hand.

This establishes you as the dominant rooster and he will be good. If he decides to challenge you again just repeat the performance but it will be a long time before he works up the nerve for a challenge.

I had one EXTREMELY aggressive rooster who would jump up on things and then launch himself at me from HEIGHT. One treatment and he started deferring to me as soon as I came outside.

• posy_pet
    14 years ago

I used a small leaf rake on my rooster.He got the message.I did too.I shut him outside when I needed to work with a hen inside.He never bothers me anymore.But,he does not run loose either.I think they are scared of you too.Posy_Pet

• velvet_sparrow
    14 years ago

Two very good videos here on YouTube show how:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEJv4KvIog8

This one is particularly good, shows it several times close-up:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgRmPuAEr6A

I'm going to try it on my big roo, Phoenix, soon. He's gentle as a kitten but his spurs are getting long enough to poke him, so he needs de-spurring.

Some bleeding & tenderness with the new spur is normal until it air drys for a few hours and hardens off. Your roo may sulk and keep a foot tucked up while this is going on. As long as the bleeding stops, he'll be OK. :) Scmooze him with tender words and goodies till then.

Velvet ~:>

• prmsdlndfrm
    14 years ago

use corn starch to slow the bleeding
    josh

• mikes100acdreamfarm
    14 years ago

I don't usually keep the roosters too long after the spurs get long. I trade out my birds when they get a couple years on them because I can't afford the eggs otherwise. The spurs absolutely need to be cut occasionally if you keep the roos long. They can defend themselves just as well with blunt ones. However, your hens can't defend themselves against the roo. Long spurs will eventually kill the hen particularly during the molting seasons. They loose some of their feather protection and are literally carved open in vital areas of their bodies (sorry for graphics) by the sharp longer spurs. I've lost a couple of really good hens over the years till it finally dawned on me what the injuries were from. I thought something was getting in and chewing them up. And as for the aggressive action eyecn... and posy are on target. A little drop football with a farm impliment does wonders. I had a cornish years ago that was totally out of control till we played a little tag.

• velvet_sparrow
    14 years ago

*Thanks her lucky stars for her so-sweet roo boys who would NEVER hurt anyone...*

Wow. I was just outside cuddling my Head Roo, Phoenix who came up and stood next to me wanting attention. I can't imagine having to arm myself with something before I went out into the chicken yard, I feel for you guys. :(

Velvet ~:>

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH