Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mixtapesyndicate

Hens not laying.

mixtapesyndicate
16 years ago

Ok, So my 4 hens have stopped laying (maybe). I have confined them to their house and their run to see if they have stopped laying or if they just have a hidden nest somewhere that i haven't managed to find. I also had two other small chickens that I am fostering with them but as soon as i removed them from the same run the 4 laying hens automatically took interest in the hen house again. So maybe that was the problem? Anyone have any thoughts on that? or encountered a situation like this before? BTW i'm in the NW part of florida.

Comments (5)

• sullicorbitt
    16 years ago

The first thing I'm wondering is how old are they? I found my pullets lay very regular until they get into their first molt during which they stop laying for a few months. I have lots of hens right now in molt or just coming out. Out of 13 hens I'm getting between 2-4 eggs a day.

Here in NE the shorter days really slow down egg production. Also in general the older the hen the fewer eggs they produce, but I've notice the eggs seem to get bigger after that first molt. It could be a combination of factors.

-Sheila

• songbirdmommy
    16 years ago

Hi!
    I just checked NOAA.gov for your weather, and it looks like you are getting very cold there. I would probably bet that your chickens are not laying due to the cold, especially if they have been laying pretty good during warmer times.
    Wait til it warms up again, and you will see that they are laying again.
    I get one egg a week out of mine now that it is cold.... of course, they free range during the day, so come Easter, my kids might find a stray brown egg! LOL

• mixtapesyndicate
    Original Author
    16 years ago

They are 9 months old. They have laid 3 eggs within the last couple of days. It looks like they were offended/territorial about their nesting boxes. I'm not sure what kind of effect that moving the other chickens out had on them but, they have started laying again.

• velvet_sparrow
    16 years ago

Aw, you have upset the poor widdle petite delicate flowers... :( Boo. *L*

Chickens, like all birds, LOVE routine. Anything that upsets their routine can cause a break in egg laying--new birds, Fourth of July fireworks or your neighbor adding a second floor to his house--we have TWO of those going on behind us, my hens are NOT happy. Even something so slight as the normally quiet neighbors having a slightly noisy party in their backyard. Your chickens will run up to you the moment you set outside and cry and whine at you to make them stop. Little fussbudgets.

Glad they are OK and hopefully the ruffled feathers have been soothed. :)

Velvet ~:>

• Miss_Kitty
    16 years ago

I have the molting thing going on too. I have a bare back hen who isn't getting any new feathers and a bare butt hen who is losing more feathers than she is growing. I get one egg from this summer's momma - and an occasional second egg.

I have brought the 3 grown hens and the 3 pullets INSIDE with the rooster, we are putting on a run with a connecting door. All this to protect the garden, little demons ate all my strawberries, tomatoes, cantalope etc.

Hello Velvet -
    Do they need a different feed during molting season??

Kitty