Return to the Farm Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
first time hatching ducks

Posted by steve11_ducks indiana (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 18, 09 at 16:41

hey guys i need help. i bought two ducks a cople of months ago and they just started laying. i have 5 eggs and i need to know what temp. and how long i should put them in the incubator for.

thanks for your advice. :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: first time hatching ducks

I eat my eggs We also let them keep a few and mark them so we dont eat the old ones.

o

Did you find the information you need? You should be able to find the exact hatching temps/length of hatching online. Each species is different. What type of incubator do you have? I used one of those small styrofoam ones that could do about 30 chicken eggs and had excellent success. Don't allow your baby ducklings to get in the water. They will freeze to death, learned it the hard way. They will immediately try to swim when just hatched and get cold without a mama. Just keep them warm and dry.
Keep eggs refrigerated until ready to incubate.

o

Refridgerate eggs before incubation? I just keep mine at room temp until I either incubate or put them under a hen.
Brendasue

o

DO NOT REFRIDGERATE HATCHING EGGS store room temp with pointed side up rotate 2 x daily styrofoam incubators come with heating adjustment instructions cant remember off top of my head but remember to rotate if you dont get one with automatic egg turner and also remember to mist the eggs a couple times a day while incubating
josh

o

Yes, keep the humidity up on duck eggs. There are charts on numerous sites about what temperature and humidity to use. Do not refrigerate eggs you intend on incubating. I hold eggs up to five days successfully if I need to at room temperature, and like the last poster says, in the incubator or not, you should rotate them a couple times a day.

o

• Posted by acer 6b western NC (My Page) on
    Thu, Dec 3, 09 at 21:27

Personally, I think it might be better to just eat the eggs and wait till spring to hatch some. They'll probably lay more, and do you really want to deal with tender little babies in the dead of winter?

o

Steve,

I have a couple questions.
You say a couple ducks. Is one a drake? Ducks (hens) lay eggs even if they are not fertile.

What breed of duck are they? Only purbred breed true.

Eric

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Farm Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here