Return to the Farm Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
LA Layer Chickens??

Posted by brendasue 6 (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 3, 09 at 18:59

Can someone send me info on this breed? Is it a breed?

A friend of the family just sold us 12 pullets for 4 each, said they were LA Layers? I've never heard of them & tried looking them up, but havn't found the breed? Good price so we took them.

They're ~ the color of Buff Orphingtons, light red/orange.
1 was white w/ a little bit of orange, so obviously a cross of some sort but the others are uniform in color & looks.

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: LA Layer Chickens??

Anyone?

o

Can you give us a picture - I have never heard of them. Maybe with a picture we might be able to make a guess? With the colors you are describing it kinda sounds like a cross of Red Sex Link and Orphington. I tried looking them up also and could not find a thing either.

o

Thanks Nelda. No pics-I have never been able to figure out how to post pics to this site.

I suspect there is no such breed, the person we bought them from is a long=time family friend, however somewhat of a smoozer (though innocently). I've looked & looked but havn't found anything, add the non-response from the forum & I think there may have been some miscommunication somewhere between the breeder & our friend.

When I see him again I'll try to clarify with him. I think you may be right, though. I just hope they lay eggs as they are supposed to be layers!

o

Could be Cinnamon Queens...? Sex links come in all kinds of lovely colors. :) What is their body type like, combs/wattles and leg color?

See if any of these look like your girls:
http://feathersite.com/Poultry/CGP/Sex-links/BRKSexLink.html

Velvet ~:>

o

• Posted by luke_oh zone 5 NE Ohio (My Page) on
    Sun, Nov 15, 09 at 13:51

Is he a basketball fan? Maybe he said LA Lakers.

o

...and I now have a wonderful mental image of chickens in tiny basketball uniforms! :)

o

• Posted by luke_oh zone 5 NE Ohio (My Page) on
    Mon, Nov 16, 09 at 15:55

Velvet, remember the chickens that used to put a little basketball in the hoop and was rewarded with a few pieces of corn, honest. Maybe your're not old enough to remember. I saw it on TV...I think it was in black and white,too. I was just a kid.

o

No, I don't...but I'll bet that sooner or later someone'll put it up on YouTube! I've seen videos of the fortune telling chicken and the 'dancing chicken'.

o

Hello again,

Sorry it took so long to respond. Dad was admitted into the VA Hosp. for Kidney stones, visiting took an hour trip 1 way . He's home now, for 2 weeks anyways on 2xday IV treatments for infection.

These chickens do kinda look like the Cinnamon Queens, though a bit more orange, smaller combs I think, slim like layer breeds usually are. We started getting eggs-they are green-thinking a cross here. I havn't been able to get a pic with all that has been going on.

Could be he said LA Lakers, I'll have to look that breed up, lol.

Brendasue

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Farm Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here