Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brendasue_gw

4 ticks today-better solution?

brendasue
18 years ago

I found 4 ticks on my livestock guardian dog today. She has worn a Hartz 2in1 collar all summer, the replacement was (same collar)about 2 weeks ago. Does anybody have a better solution for the ticks?

BrendaSue

Comments (8)

• goodhors
    18 years ago

What is the time on collar package for the tick effectiveness? I see the packages, 90 day Flea protection, 120 days etc. However in the small print, tick protection is usually about 30 days. You have to read the labels carefully. I would be replacing the collar when tick effectiveness is gone.

Something else, read the chemical listed as used in collars. I would try to use different brands of collars, to rotate the chemicals hitting the ticks. Other pests get immune to the insecticide if used constantly. Use varied protction so they can't build a resistance to it.
    With the guardian dog being exposed to bugs all the time, I would also check dog more often, not just monthly. If dog is getting tick bit, livestock may need extra inspection, protection as well.

• lucky_p
    18 years ago

Frontline. Case closed.

• brendasue
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I threw the packaging away so I don't know what the exp date was. I usually buy 3 or 4 for use from April through Nov & have never had this much of a problem-but then again this is my first outside dog so that probably has a lot to do with it. I feed garlic to the horses and I think that helps a little, the goats I havn't a solution as of yet. Looks like it's going to be a bad year for ticks.

Frontline it is for the dog. She needs to be brushed somewhat regularly so I noticed the ticks right away.

Thank you!

• Siamese
    18 years ago

Guinea fowl is what did the trick for me. I used to not be able to go outside without picking up 10 ticks. A tick is an extremely rare sight around here now. But as far as something to put on dogs, don't waste your money on Hartz---use Frontline.

• oregon_veg
    18 years ago

Feed your dog LOTS of garlic and buy Guinea as Siamese stated.
    We did the frontline thing. It's okay, but not as effective as daily doses of garlic.
    Tom

• gurley157fs
    18 years ago

I rub Skin So Soft all over my dog in addition to the frontline. He is a black lab and totally outside though.

If they come in the house the furniture and carpets would get the SSS all over them and also since he is black you can't see the 'dirty' looking marks. On a light or white dog that would look terrible.

It does help with the ticks and fleas though and keeps his coat from drying out. I used to smear it all over the groin area of the horses too when ticks were really bad.

• judyag_44
    18 years ago

Guineas for as many ticks as possible....they have worked great for us in the yard, barn lot and areas close by.

Since my dogs range widely to keep the varmints at bay we use Frontline Top Spot. Garlic cannot do any harm so why not go for that, too?

• brendasue
    Original Author
    18 years ago

We had 4 guineas given to us several years ago. They were very LOUD (the reason they were given to us), and didn't get along with our chickens. We had them in a coop, not freeranging, and the neighbors still heard them. Is there another breed that isn't so loud that would do the trick?

I did start putting garlic on her food already, it'll take a few weeks to start working though.

BrendaSue