Return to the Farm Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
chick with eye problem

Posted by claraserena 4 (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 10, 08 at 19:51

I have a Milles Fleur bantam, 3 1/2 months, with an eye problem. When she was a few days old I thought she was blind--eyes were opaque. But then I realized her eyes were sometimes clear and normal appearing. The problem is that the eyelid(s) seems stuck in closed position first thing in the morning. She will just stand there until she can see enough to get around. This morning I brought her in, gently wiped her eyes with a wet cotton ball and because it seemed like there was some gooey stuff around her eyes I put a little antibiotic cream on. By the time I put her back out, her eyes were working. Has anyone had this problem with a chick? Will it get better? Is there anything I can do?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: chick with eye problem

Is it her nictitating membrane--the inner, third lid that closes vertically that she's closing? There IS a parasite that can cause problems with it, but it is found mostly in sub-tropical regions:

http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index.jsp?cfile=htm/bc/202800.htm

Scroll down to 'O Mansoni' and see if it fits. Be careful with the antibiotic ointment, most of them say very specifically that they are not for opthalmic use. If she has an ongoing eye or head infection (sinus) or Infectious Coryza, you may have better luck with oral antibiotics or a medication such as Sulmet. Any foamy discharge from her eyes or other symptoms, such as weight loss or abnormal poops? 3 1/2 months is a long time. :(

Velvet ~:>

o
RE: chick with eye problem

It's the lid that closes up from the bottom of her eyes. I really don't think it's an infection. The lid (usually the left one) just seems stuck. The next time I have chance I will look for the o mansoni though I would worry that I might damage her eye in the process. We are in northern Wisconsin so I would be surprised if that were the problem. I will not use any more Neosporin--I just put it around her eye which probably didn't do any harm or good.
I hesitate to give her Sulmet. Other than the eye(s) she is very healthy. She's the only one small enough to fit under the garden gate so she spends a lot of time in the garden helping herself. She has a small waterer and food there and I always give her treats. While she is small, she is not at all thin. She still sleeps with 4 of her clutch-mates, 2 of them bantams. I will continue to keep a close eye on her. Her name is Reise, short for Tyresias, the blind seer in Oedipus.
Thank you, Velvet. All my chickens thank you, too!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Farm Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here