Return to the Farm Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
wheat seed for sprouting

Posted by posy_pet z6Mo. (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 19, 09 at 19:54

I bought wheat seed this fall to sprout for my chickens for $6-$7 for a 50 lb. bag.You don't want "Seed" wheat,just wheat to feed.Be sure you get it from the current year.What I got has some odd seeds and chaff in it but it mostly floats off when you rinse it.The chickens like it better in the winter when they have no green stuff.Posy_Pet

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: wheat seed for sprouting

I've been thinking of getting some sprouting seed. Thanks for the tip.
Brendasue

o

I was wondering if I can throw out some of my red hard wheat that I make tabouli out of, just to grow a little of it for the birds to eat too? I buy in bulk at the health food store for very cheap.

o

Grain sprouts and grain grass are great for poultry in winter. Just germinated grain is easier to handle than full sprouts and is also very nutritious. With full sprouted grain you do have to be careful of mold.

The link below will take you to a parrot website that has a lot of great information applicable to chickens as well.

Maggie J

Visit my new website:
http://rabbittalk.com
RabbitTalk
Rabbits for profit... Rabbits for fun... Rabbits for just about everyone...

Here is a link that might be useful: Parrot Chronicles

o

I rinse the wheat sprouts once in the morning and once at night.I get at least 4-6 times the volume of the seed after it is about an inch high and green.The chickens really like it.I get orange yolks(when I get eggs-no lights so they are just beginning to lay after the molt.)No mold in the sprouts.You do need to rinse it good tho.Posy_Pet

o

Can you buy wheat seeds that sprout at any bulk store?

o

I bought it at the feed store where I get my chicken feed.It will probably be cheaper at a feed store.Here it is only available in the fall.Farmers plant winter wheat.Posy_Pet

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Farm Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here