Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mastino

Great Pyrenees???

mastino
14 years ago

Hi I bought a Great Pyrenees for my goats . Anyway she has short hair like her mom, my question is do Great Pyrenees have short hair (thus is she a full blooded GP)? She didnt have papers (I wasn't wanting papers but I think the person said she could be reg.). They had several grown GP (all were beautiful working GP guarding their livestock) all had long coats except this pups mother (I was told she was a short haired GP). They said all of them were full blooded GP. I cant find any info on "short hair" GP , has anyone heard of them? She looks just like a GP has all the markings & the looks, but Id like to know more about them.

Thanks

Comments (9)

• brendasue
    14 years ago

No GP's have long hair, a double coat, usually one of 2 types. Pups look like little fluffballs. They should have the pigmentation on the eyes, nose, and lips, double dewclaws, and have the kink in the tail, and tail forms a wheel. Some have badger-type markings on the head.
    Is the hair as short as say, a doberman's?

You've purchased an unregistered dog. Unregistered meaning lineage is unknown, or not being shared. IMO your pup had some cross breeding somewhere in it's background, perhaps even several generations back, hopefully a working breed cross like the short-haired Anatolian which would not be uncommon.
    If you search long enough you may come across great pyrs that are black, and some that have short hair, these breeders claim they are purebred but I and many have their doubts. This breed has been around far too long to not have those traits in the standard, this is an ancient breed.

It sounds to me like your main purpose is for livestock protection. As long as the pup grows to be a good working dog (remember teenage years will be a very trying time for you), I wouldnt get myself into a frenzy. If the dog shows any abnormal chasing or aggression issues with your stock as it matures, I would immediately demand my money back. Emphasizing the word abnormal.

Pyrs are excellent dogs, when owners take the time to understand the internal workings of the breed, their needs, what makes them effective, and of course proper containment for those that are patrollers.

AKC has a breed standard on their website for your reading pleasure, also.

Brendasue

• mastino
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the input! She has all the traits of a GP the odd pig tail, the coloring a tan patch on her hip & 1 grayish ear, pigment on the nose & black spots all on her tummy etc. I should have been more clear, on the coat length its longer then a GS coat & its soft & wavy but not as long like the 1's Iv seen. She looks just like the breed in every waythats why I was wondering. Iv seen several GP in person but I thought she might had some mix possibly somewhere down the line because of her coat. As for her going back to the breeder, she's NOT she was basically just a rescue & will live out her life here (now spoiled). As far as her temperament it seems textbook GP so far & your right she is bad about playing with my young bucks leg. So when shes with the goats shes watched, till she grows out of the puppy stage. Shes just trying to have a playmate but her little teeth are razor sharp. She lives in a pen inside the goat pen till she matures (shes about 4 months old now)? Inside her pen she lives with a recued kitty & they are the best of friends. Im sure she will be a great guardian but if not shell make another great porch dog. LOL

• mikes100acdreamfarm
    14 years ago

I've had several Pyrs with my goats over the years. I raise them all in the pen with the livestock. I've never had them bother any of the goats or their kids. (Guineas and chickens are another matter however) I'm not sure that going after the bucks legs in the norm. My main problem with the "Patrolers" is that they figure out ways to get out of the compound and "Patrol" farther than they are suppose to. Once they get big enough not to fit through the page wire anymore the lower electric keeps them where they need to be just like it does the goats. I did have one that like you had a shorter wavy coat. The vet and I both thought that she may have had Irish Wolf Hound somewhere in the distant past although the man I got her from said she was out of full stock (Non-registered). She too was the only one in the litter that had that coat. She was great until she got out and then I could never keep her in and gave her to another friend that had livestock. (We live right on a main road and she wouldn't have lasted long here) Last year I bred one of my females with a St. Bernard to see if I could tone down the bark factor. They are great guardians and don't seem to be as vocal as the other Pyrs I've had. They seem more capable of tackling the Yotes that we're covered up with. BTW I learned the hard way the less human contact they have the better guardian they are. (And that's really hard for me) Otherwise they get attached to people and want to be at the house rather then where they need to be. My border on the other hand is the family pet/working dog. She's a total people fanatic but all business when it comes to working the goats.

• acer
    14 years ago

If she's short-coated, she's almost certainly not full-blooded. However, I'd really prefer a shorter coated Pyr. Lot's less work and less white fuzz everywhere. If she's a good dog, you hit the jackpot!

• sylviatexas1
    14 years ago

Maybe she's part Lab:

My dog Bubbles is half GP & half yellow Lab, & she's the best dog in the universe...
    but your pup could be Miss Runner-Up!

• farmermom
    14 years ago

The only complaint about my G P x is if she gets out, she RUNS. Far far away. There is no calling her back, she just runs faster and comes home later when she' ready. Very irritating.

She rarely barks though, I'm surprised you say they bark a lot cuz mine doesn't. I had her two months before I heard her bark at all.

Mixed with the Anatolian she is a very uniquely colored dog (and probably a little mutt in the woodpile too). Her hair is thick but sleek and soft, like a golden retriever, however it's mostly gray with some yellow tones and black tones, with white on her head and four feet. Her body and face look pure GP though.

And yes, she wants to be inside with her Herd! On my lap. All 130 pounds of her. Or in the bed with her 3 year old boy (they are the same age to the month), taking up the WHOLE bed.

When I got her I didn't have livestock, but I knew what I was getting, I knew we would be her herd and she'd guard us as such but get gentle on the little children, which she really is. I picked her breed specifically not accidentally. She just loves them to play king of the mountain with her being the mountain.

• Sharon Dugey
    7 years ago

I have a GP now 4months old. He also has short hair. The breeder stated he was full full blood. No matter now cause he is ours. I also hoped for a guard dog. He is in and enclosed fence that gives him lots of space in our back yard. We have 200 acres. He is calming down now, but he looks more like my brothers British retriever. He is very afraid of anything new. He loves our papillons and cats. He is good with our chickens, ducks, and peacocks. One sleeps in his area.

I will try to attach a photo. His brothers and sisters are fluffy, but not him.

• John Pancerzewski
    4 years ago

I was curious myself since I have a short hair and a long hair GP. I noticed St. Bernards come in both rough coats ( long hair) and smooth coat (short hair). The smooth coat being the better dog for durability. I read that the original St. was smooth coat and offers better genetics. Made me curious about the GP.