Return to the Farm Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Thinking about raising sheep in the south

Posted by belindam z8 La (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 29, 06 at 21:43

I did some research about hairless sheep, we have fences for horses and we probably would have to re-fence eveverthing for sheep. I was also told that I should get a dog to live with the sheep. Anyone in the south that can share with me how to get started???

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Thinking about raising sheep in the south

Well, umm, actually, it's haired sheep, not hairless - they don't grow a fleece and they shed their coat in the spring, so no shearing is needed. The only type/variety name I can recall off-hand is Barbadoes Black Belly, but there are a couple of others, which you can google for. You don't get any wool from them, but if you want them for pets or as mobile lawnmowers or meat, they would be good. I know people here in Spartanburg County who have conventional sheep, but I think the owner does his own shearing. It's not impossible to do yourself, just cumbersome, but if you want to process the fleeces for spinning, you need to do a smmoth job, which takes some practice. Finding a shearer for a small flock is apparently almost impossible.

As far as the re-fencing, it depends on the fence you already have - your new fence has to be such that the sheep and any lambs can't crawl through, and probably also so that any predators can't get in. Woven wire/mesh on the inside of the horse fencing should do the trick, for both needs. Or you can run two or three strands of eletric wire, 2 inside and one outside, to keep in what you want and out what you want. You WOULD then have to keep the fence-line clearer of weeds and long grass than you would with the woven wire, so the electric doesn't short out.

A livestock guard dog is a good predator deterrent, there are several types that can be used, but I would check to see which ones will work in LA - you may have to shear the dog every spring, even if the sheep don't need it! Most of the ones I know of have pretty heavy coats... Another option to use for protection, instead of a dog is a donkley or llama - both of them mostly hate dogs and will chase them, and anything that looks like them such as a coyote, out of their pasture. The llama might need to be sheared also, but the donkey should shed out on its own.

o
RE: Thinking about raising sheep in the south

http://www.gulfcoastsheepbreeders.org/

http://www.lasheepproducers.com/

.....Alan.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Farm Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here