Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardengalrn

Looking at seed catalogs AND poultry sites;)

gardengalrn
15 years ago

As the chill of winter is coming on fast, I am looking at seeds, planning gardens, and looking at Ideal and McMurray for poultry. I felt that this year was our "learning" year for chickens and I fell in love. I feel more confident now and am looking forward to expanding my flock. I think I have about the right amount of layers, give or take. I figured 5 or so new layers next year would keep things going at an even keel, barring any major tragedy. I am planning on 20 meat birds and decided on the White Rocks for that purpose. I just didn't have good feelings about the Cornish Xs and this way it isn't a major rush to butcher them all by a certain age. I want to try 2-3 turkeys as well. I had a friend that kept a big old broad-breasted Tom in with the chickens and they all did fine. Was this just luck on her part? I'm prepared to keep them separate but it sure would be easier to mix them. Then, I'm also getting about 20 guineas of mixed variety. This property has almost always had guineas on it from what I understand and many of them met their demise on the road. We are in the "country" but the vehicles travel too fast down the road. I don't want to set them up for failure but I do want to cut the grasshopper and stink bug infestations that we have. So, I'm excited!!!! Has anyone raised their own turkeys for the table and what did you think? Lori

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Fine Designs & Interiors, Ltd.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Columbus Leading Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2014-2022