Return to the Farm Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cow with something caught in her eye?

Posted by dirtslinger2 (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 9, 08 at 22:48

I have a young (1.5 year) heifer with what I imagine is a bit of burdock stuck in her eye.
This has been in for a week...
It's watering a lot (good!) but if it's burdock it will have a little barb holding it in.
The swelling seems to have gone down but her eye is still not opening well.
Help! What can I do? The vet has been contacted but hasn't returned calls yet- and is only in the area once every 2 weeks or so so fact is I need to at least do something.
Thanks for ANY ideas!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cow with something caught in her eye?

Just so you'll know, I don't have cows. We have horses. Can you handle the cow? Can it be haltered?

If so, do you think that one of those eye washes from the drug store will help?

I keep the eye wash on hand as my DH is always getting something in his eyes.

Here is a link that might be useful: MY BLOG

o

Hey- actually she is a bit wild. She'll put her head in a grain bucket but that's it.
I'm afraid she'll need tranquelizing, but in a way you'd expect there must be another way?

o

I don't currently have cows although I have had them before. I have horses. However, I think it is really safe to assume that what would blind a horse will also blind a cow. Yes, you will probably need to tranquilize her to deal with her, and you should probably put her in a smaller pen so you can catch her because she most likely needs some meds in her eye two, three, or four times a day. You really need to call the vet and have it looked at. It will cost you some money if the vet has to make a special trip, but to me it is just part of owning an animal. I wouldn't wait any longer to get a vet out. If her eye is damaged it might be too late already. You won't know until a vet looks at it.

o

Ladybug you are right on here. Still waiting for the vet, but I have the movable corral ready for his visit. Thanks!

o

If you're going to treat the animal yourself you'll need to lasso her, get a halter on her to snub her down, get a set of nose leads in her nose to subdue her, pull her head to the side to expose the eye that you want to look at and take a good look. If there is something there that needs to be removed then remove it. If it appears to be infected she may need an antibiotic and eye patch plus penicillin or other medication IM.

Janet

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Farm Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here