Return to the Farm Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Frozen Feet

Posted by melissa77 (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 13, 09 at 1:02

I am a new mom to chickens. I live in Upstate NY and have 12 free range chickens. It has been cold here, in the 20's, with teen winds. The chickens have mainly been staying in the barn where there is a wood boiler. Well the other day one of my Rhode Islands got out and wedged herself between the barn and the outside coop we use in the warmer weather. I am not sure how long she was out there for but when I picked her up her feet were cold and hard. No discoloration or anything. I brought her into our heated garage in a box with hay/straw food and water. She has the warmth back to her feet but still isn't walking. She can lift herself up a little bit but thats about it. I felt her legs and she is putting pressure on her legs and I don't feel anything broke. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can help her? Or what I should be doing? thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Frozen Feet

http://www.reluctantgourmet.com/chicksoup.htm

o

We are an animal rescue and rescued a rooster, Fletcher, that had frost bite to his feet, comb. All his toes turned black and fell off. It took about 3 weeks before he started to walk but I kept him warm (hay, heating lamp) and quiet. I hand fed him diced wheat bread with olive oil, and diced apples. The first week for pain I gave him a half baby aspirin put in with his bread. Eventually, about 4 weeks he was up and walking.

We recently adopted Walter a rooster that has a crippled foot. The foot has healthy color but he can't walk on it, its curled. He kinda throws himself across the room by one foot/leg and his wings to steady himself. He's fine and healthy, crows up a storm and loves to be pet and talked to.

Walter will never be able to be free range. But he has his own little room and will be able to go out as soon as spring gets here and we build the door closer to the ground.

You don't want to put him in with the other birds they may peck at him. I guess it depends how much time you want to put into him.

o

Good advice from laturcotte1...

If her feet are warm to the touch, it means she has pretty good blood circulation there, and a better chance at regaining the ability to walk. I wouldn't count her out yet. Continue keeping her warm and dry, and offer her some extra protein (live mealworms or crickets are great, also good are cooked scrambled eggs and ground beef)--her body needs protein in order to rebuild damaged tissue. Rest, good food, isolation from other birds (they might abuse her) and time may be all she needs.

Good luck with her! :)

Velvet ~:>

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Farm Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here