Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
runningtrails_gw

fertile egg question

runningtrails
15 years ago

I have one, 9 mos old, rooster to 20 hens. What are the chances that I will have enough fertile eggs to get peeps next spring?

I do plan to candle them at 2 weeks but would like a large percentage of them to be fertile. Do I need another rooster? I don't wnat to get one and have them fight all the time. I do free range them most days but they are housed altogether and I don't let them out in really bad weather, winter storms, etc. so they are shut up together all day occasionally. Will I have problems with a second rooster?

Comments (3)

• dunwaukin
    15 years ago

Yes.

If you have a dozen roosters in a pen, you will still have a dozen a month later. If you have two roosters in a pen, you will have one a month later. (?a day later?) At least, that's my experience. Not sure the ratio of how many hens one can service, can you make two pens??

• simpleme
    15 years ago

I have one rooster and 23 hens and have about 80% hatch rate. Have also run two roosters on the same amount of hens but they were from the same hatch and just got used to each other and lived in peace. Did find one a home. If you have more than one rooster your rate of fertility may go down as one will spend a lot of his time interfering with the other in the mating. Kinda of like a bunch of young fellas all interested in the same young lady.

• runningtrails
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Simpleme for the info. 80% is good enough for me. I'll stick to the one rooster for now.