Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flgargoyle

What's your farm's name?

flgargoyle
17 years ago

I think a farm should have a name, whether it's a hobby or a business. Something like 'Circle W Ranch', or 'Petersfield', or something like that. So what's your farm's name?

Comments (86)

• oberhasli1
    17 years ago

Our farm which was established 11 years ago, is called the BRB Ranch, (stands for the Big Red Bum). Our son used to run around in the buff in the house when he was an infant and we lived in the city, and we said it would make a great name for a farm. So,there you have it. Of course, my son doesn't know I've spilled the beans!

• LisaNH
    17 years ago

Mack Hill Farm. We are on Mack Hill Road, and the actual Mack Hill is across from our class-6 unmaintained road. It'd be cooler if we actually owned Mack Hill, but oh well.

I keep trying to decide who to name Mack. Our ram already has a cool name and a reputation (Sue), so not him. Our llamas are girls, so not them. We are getting a rooster this spring, but they don't live very long. Maybe we can always have a rooster named Mack.

But what I really want is an African Gray parrot that I can take with me to the Farmer's Market named Mack. I don't have the time for one yet, though, as I am getting an Icelandic sheepdog in March, as well as my first chickens, which are also Icelandic. Bees and pigs (our first ones) come in April, and we'll lamb all May and June. Maybe next year!

I didn't know gardenweb had a farming forum. (hi!) How cool.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mack Hill Farm

• russh_nepa
    17 years ago

Homestead Harvest. It's not really a "farm". We use much more for ourselves, and only sell some excess. Harvesting from our homestead is what we are about, so that's the name. Plus, we we think it's catchy.

• jaime202
    17 years ago

Ware Goats and Forages

• jannoel_gw
    17 years ago

flgargoyle, you wondered if there was a Swedish version of croft. I don't know but the dark red farm houses in Sweden are called stugas.

• MaxBaerHems
    17 years ago

I saw this one the other day while out driving around....I thought it was rather neat.....

"Just-E-Nuff Farm"

• acorn
    17 years ago

My bosses cattle brand is 8 IT

• maplewest_farms
    17 years ago

Our farm name was Maple-West Holsteins until we got out of the dairy part of the business. Now it is called Maplewest Farms. We named it because of the maple trees on the west side of the road.

• instar8
    17 years ago

I wouldn't go so far as to call my place a farm, do two beehives count? I have 3 acres of hilly old pasture, sand moraines on top of gravel, excessively well-drained is an understatement.

THe house is a modest, neglected modular built longways into a hill in the center of the property, and two sides have some trees, can't really call it "woods" cause it's mostly weedy stuff about as old as the house, but it makes me feel cozy.

I named the place "Thistledew" for the predominant species and the fact that I got almost everything I wanted for a price I could almost afford!

• flgargoyle
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Nice wordplay on the name, instar8! It doesn't have to be a real farm- mine won't be. As I said in the OP, I remember summer cottages having names on them when I was a kid.

• megdagooch
    17 years ago

Our property is not a farm, but I liked this thread and wanted to share. We call ours Wa-wa-na-quas-sick. It is Indian for land of many memorial stones. The stories behind the stone piles are very interesting, if you are into this type of thing.

Here is a link that might be useful: Camp Wawanaquassick

• durtroadz
    17 years ago

We officially named our farm 'Erbe Gartens' last year.

I decided on the name as a way to pay homage to my German heritage while also hoping to leave something behind when my time on earth is through. It translates simply to "Heritage Gardens". I planted over 8000 perennials last year, and hope to double the amount this coming spring and summer. Guess I'd better get back to the greenhouse to transplant seedlings!

Great to read so many fun name stories!

• instar8
    17 years ago

This is a fun post..I forgot to mention a place I drive by that grows and sells melons..."Back Acres".

• flgargoyle
    Original Author
    17 years ago

A life-long friend of mine in CT calls his place 'Gator Creek Farms'. He has a long fascination w/ alligators, so the name stuck.

• beeliz
    17 years ago

We're just a little hobby farm, but it's "petite hobby farm de L'Anse"...we're in Quebec!!!

• Sweetfolly
    17 years ago

When I registered my herd of Nubian goats I needed a name that summed up my life , and my endeavor! I registered the herd as Sweetfolly Farm and have kept the name ever since. Trying to raise animals, and flowers, and make a living off of them is just that...sweet foolishness!

• izziemont
    17 years ago

I love this thread!

We named our operation Barefoot Farm. We have four young sons. Three of them have a strong aversion to wearing shoes. The name seemed too perfect for us. We call our homeschool Barefoot Academy for Wayward Boys. If we add an agritourism aspect to the farm, I want to call it Barefoot Boys Farm Adventure. In our logo, we use footprints in place of the oo in foot. I love our name. I really does suit us well.

• flgargoyle
    Original Author
    17 years ago

We used to paint 'footprints' all over our boats when we were kids. Make a fist and dip the side of your hand in the paint. When pressed on a surface, this makes the main part of the foot. Then make dots of paint w/ a fingertip to create the toes. The boys will have fun w/that!

• jdeibel
    16 years ago

Over the Rainbow Tree Farm is the name we picked and it really suits us fine. Lots of trees on 36 acres. Loblolly Pines and Virginia Pines as well as oaks and other hardwoods. This year i'm starting a little tree nursery
    with Copper Beech, Sugar maples, Crimson King Maples, Colorado Blue Spruce and Norway Spruce.

• nicole_n_nebraska
    16 years ago

Ours is pretty boring, Raines Ranch. But thats what we named our land on the public paper work when we bought it so it kind of stuck. We also registered our herd name for our dairy goats through ADGA , AGS and IDGA with it .

Here is a link that might be useful: Raines Ranch Nubians

• lfrj
    16 years ago

More of a dream than an enterprise, we call it "Lil Cricket Farm", named after a sparrow who fell through the chimney as a fledgling. We managed to get her to survive without fully realizing that birds can imprint. She learned to fly, but refused to leave,. We even took her for walks to the park on our shoulders. She lived for TEN years! with us in the city, and died just as we were packing up to head to the country, a chapter I guess she just wasn't up to.

Not sure if her little spirit ever did leave though. We have TEN birds now thanks to the many lessons we learned from raising little Cricket-Cricket. Sparrows are always precious and welcomed guests at our place.

• swinginonastar
    16 years ago

Swingin Ona' Star Farms

4 donkeys, we raise Nigerian dwarf goats and we have chickens, ducks and dogs.

• lil_chick_lady
    16 years ago

we do not have a true farm. we have three acres, the true old drafty farm house and an old detached 2 car garage that we are currently painting to look like a barn. we have 11 dogs, a cat, 2 rabbits, 3 degus, 2 guinea pigs, peacock, chickens, turkeys,feeder pigs, and soon goats. reading all the responses made me think that we could/should have a name for my little farm. and i think i will call it SERENITY ACRES. i am most peaceful when i am out with my animals and working in my gardens. we have 5 boys from 2 to 12 and i enjoy the every part of our little farm. it relaxes me. some people go to the lake to relax me i go to the garage/barn.

• susandonb
    16 years ago

What a great question! I am just starting to think about this. We grow vegetables and I hope to get some fainting goats next year, so I consider our home a farm. I have so many factors to consider for a name, I am going crazy thinking about it.

I'll let ya know when I come up with one!

Susan in NC

• Annette Holbrook(z7a)
    16 years ago

We have 12 acres in Alpharetta, GA. We run a dog park and training center on the back 9 or so acres. We base all of our training on wolves and the way they communicate in the wild. Our last name is Holbrook and there is a wide creek (brook) that is the south border of our property. We combined this and came up with WolfBrook.
    In addition to the dogs and cats, we have about 40 chickens and 4-5 beehives along with a blueberry garden and fruit tree grove.

Annette

• susandonb
    16 years ago

Ok, we got it. We have 4.4 acres here in NC (near VA border N. of Greensboro) We currently only grow veggies in a 1/2 acre garden. I want to get Myotonic Goats next Spring.
    Name of our farm is "Berry Bliss Farm".

Susan

• vinnyc
    16 years ago

I grew up in the city, and soon after we moved into our house in the "country", we bought a little piece of property ajoining ours. It's only 1/4 acre, and was overgrown and full of junk and waste from the previous owners landscaping business. I spent a lot of time cleaning it all out by myself. When my friends from the city would call looking for me, I was always back there. They started asking my wife "Where is he, out on the back 40 again?" Ever since then, we call it The Back 40. We have rabbits, chickens, and 4 khaki campbell ducks back there, also my vegetable garden, composting area, and lots of perennials.

• collinskountry
    16 years ago

A Gift for God; "COLLINS KOUNTRY FARMS"
    37 acres with 2 acre fish pond, 8 layers hens, 8 boer & nubian goats (3 of which are our first kids), 5 cats, 2 dogs and garden full of produce for sale.

• albertalaurie
    13 years ago

We own over 135 acres situated on the N Sask River in Alberta Canada. The 80 acres along the river contain old growth mixed forest. The rest of the land is sharecropped and planted in either wheat or canola. We love to fish, hike and observe the wildlife. There are bears, wolves, coyotes, deer, various birds, etc. We are currently building a log cabin for a weekend getaway. The farm, not money, will be our legacy to the kids. Ideas for names?

• lovesgrowingthings
    13 years ago

I love reading everyone's farm's names! We recently bought a farm in the hills of Iowa- 138 acres (120 crops and the rest woods). There are many black walnut trees, so I am thinking of a name that either incorporates the walnuts and the hills or possibly the name of the road (Applewood Road).

• swigginton
    13 years ago

Old thread worth reviving. Just went through the same ordeal, went through all the options, historical/geographical/family names. Finally settled on a little known name for the area that has historical significant.

Yadkin Station Farms

Yadkin station being the name of the old rainroad stop on what used to be the Norfolk & Western railroad which runs along the northern border of the property.

One large bonus is that our uncle recently bought and renovated one of the stations that was used there (10x14 shed really) and will let me move it over to where I plan on setting up the farm stand, nothing beats free advertising!

Double bonus is it gives me a good starting point for logo design.

A picture of the old station is currently on my CNG profile.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pic of Yadkin Station on CNG profile

• laturcotte1
    13 years ago

We are an non profit animal rescue named after one of beloved dogs; Sarah. Safe Animal Rescue And Haven (S.A.R.A.H.) Pretty cool.

• lilbitfarms
    13 years ago

Lil' Bit Farms
    we have a small hobbie farm with " A LITTLE BIT OF THIS AND THAT" thus our name

• blueisledreamer
    13 years ago

We have an almost 100 year old house that must have been grand in its day (we still think it is). It sits on a hill on 14 acres overlooking the town. Since the name of the road is Golden Road, we felt Golden Hall was very appropriate.

• jungseed
    13 years ago

What a fun thread - I really enjoyed reading it. We wanted to name our farm Stoney Oaks. But I was up in the attic and found the original mortgage papers from 1879 up there. In the same bag I found that my husbands great aunt named the farm Pleasant View just after the turn of the century. So we stick with Pleasant View. I can understand the name she picked. When you look south from our house you can see the bluff about 13 miles away. It is pretty.

• kristenmarie
    13 years ago

Boxcar Farm because we live in a boxcar.

• villacolonica
    13 years ago

What a great thread! I enjoyed reading through everyone's stories. :)

We just bought ~20 acres with several mature oaks and plan on building our home there in the next year or so. I think it's a good time to start thinking of a name!

• thomashton
    13 years ago

Maple Acres.

I'm originally from Canada and love maples, but the property had none. I have been busy planting. Now there are many as well as a true mix of other species of trees and understory. The trees look sparse now, but when our grandkids are running around it will be amazing.

• brookw_gw
    13 years ago

Paw Paw Ridge Farm. We own 23 secluded acres--18 timber/5 tillable. We are blessed with loads of wild persimmons, paw paws, blackberries, dewberries, walnuts, hickory nuts, and hazelnuts. It is also loaded with game, which originally was our purpose for buying it. The hayfield has been converted to fruit and vegetable production. We now have over 40 assorted fruit trees and over a thousand feet of berries, 700 asparagus, grapes, and rhubarb. It keeps us busy.

• citytransplant(zone5)
    13 years ago

Since our farm has been in my husbands family for over 70 years, the only way any one knows where we live, is if I tell them our last name. Renaming the farm would be taken as an insult. BUT, in my head the name is "5 Egg Farm", after the first hens we had, that were kind enough to give us 5 eggs a day.

{{gwi:49086}}

• devinepumpkinfarm
    13 years ago

Devine Farms. We refer to it as Devine Pumpkin Farm or Ohio Pumpkin Patch just so people that aren't familiar with us know what we are. Fall Family FUN!

Here is a link that might be useful: Newark Ohio Pumpkin Farm

• lily51
    13 years ago

What an interesting thread. Great stories on farms' histories.
    Ours is Windy Knoll... can you guess why?

I always pictured living in a white house on top of a hill and so now we have for 30+ years. It is next to the farm where my husband grew up, a farm that we also now farm.

• katybear26_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

I am having trouble naming our farm, we just got 40 acres in Oklahoma. Its beautiful, we have a few cows, horses, the chickens didn't make it with the cats :( Our Stud is a Hancock Quarter Horse, red roan. I don't like names like Double r ranch or Circle T farm. I don't know what it means, too plain :/ But I did see a sign that said Double Bat farm and thought that was funny. I like funny witty names. But Im stumped! When my daughter was smarting off a little I though, WHIPPING TIME RANCH! SWATS A PLENTY Farm!!
    ANY help would be great!
    Great names here, creative!

• myfamilysfarm
    13 years ago

I'm also considering renaming my farm. I was using my maiden name, but i'm the last one in my lineage, and the other ones with the same name don't have the best reputation. Any ideas??

I inherited 56 acres with my sister, she has since sold her part to outsiders. Our last name starts with a B, but I have one son with the last name starting with D. I thought about using either the township name or county name, but haven't really liked either. DH suggested the "crazy lady farm", for me or my grandmother (that I inherited from). Our farm is back a long lane (1/4 mile) and can't be seen from the road, so maybe something along that line.

I'm just not too descriptive or creative.

• bella582
    13 years ago

Im surrounded by Blueberries where I live. Everything around me is Blueberry this and Blueberry that. We live on a big hill and its always very windy here. So we are going with Berryblue Farm or Berryblew Farm. I have so enjoyed reading everyones farm names and how they got the name. I love the name barefoot farm and the story...

• memo3
    13 years ago

Seriously? We just call it home.

MeMo

• KingsTable
    13 years ago

These have been fun to read. The farm/garden doesn't have a name, but the business of selling food from it is called "The King's Table" after the family's name and based off Scripture.

• bboorivers_gmail_com
    12 years ago

We just bought 12acres.
    it has a stream running through the corner of it, hence, Corner Stream.

• mtnviewfarms
    12 years ago

Our farm has a fantastic view of the Blue Ridge Mountains
    in north Georgia so we named our farm 'Mountain View Farms'.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mountain View Farms

• La_Night
    11 years ago

Well, we dont really have a farm, but my friend has. It's called 'Squidorid low farmins'. It is qute a long name, so we allways call it the 'Squiely Farm', and we allways laugh!

Sponsored
Iris Design Associates
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars22 Reviews
Northern Virginia Landscape Architect - 13x Best of Houzz Winner!