Return to the Farm Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Coyote chasing large dogs

Posted by RyseRyse_2004 5 (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 11, 12 at 8:11

My labs are 80# and 95# and this coyote looked to be around 40#. My dogs were chasing it into the woods and it would come out chasing them --- this happened twice this morning and I am wondering why a coyote would mess with large dogs.

I thought they gave birth in early winter (around Feb.) so I don't think it would have been protecting pups. We have barn cats and maybe the coyote saw them milling around the yard, but chasing large dogs????

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Coyote chasing large dogs

Their breeding season is Jan-March (depending on location) with birth a couple of months later.

You might have a young one that is playing with the dogs.

A 40-lb coyote, BTW, would be ginormous. They are deceptively sized, especially when they have a full coat of fur. The ones we see in the high mountains in winter are far larger than they look in summer. They are 50% fluff, propped on toothpick legs.

o

• Posted by Krt1 none (My Page) on
    Thu, Jan 3, 13 at 11:12

actually the dogs were messing with the coyote if they chased it into the woods. wild animals take their range very serious or they are soon dead. it is not the size of the dog in the fight but the size of the fight in the dog.

o

Sometimes coyotes will lure dogs into areas where other coyotes can help take them down.

I know a guy who had a pit bull and a german shepherd. He let them out in his yard. The pit started barking furiously. The man went outside and found two coyotes eating the shepherd. He managed to get the dog away from them before they finished him off. You'd think the pit wouldn't have been afraid of them.....

Words to the wise. If you live in an area where there are coyotes, keep an eye on your dogs when you let them out. Never leave them on a leash unattended or allow them to run off into unseen areas. Coyotes can dig under fences as well as scale those 5' to 6' feet tall.

A link that might be useful:

www.desertusa.com/june96/cycot_qa.html

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Farm Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here