Return to the Farm Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Chicken toenails

Posted by johanna_h Z5 SW MI (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 6, 08 at 8:48

Do you cut them? Some of my 2-1/2 year old hens seem to have long nails. Others don't. Should I do anything about it?

--Johanna

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Chicken toenails

Hi johanna,

Velvetsparrow has a good website for nail clipping

http://jackshenhouse.com/VSChickHealth.htm

It has a section in it regarding nail clipping

Nelda

o
RE: Chicken toenails

I use a pair of dog toenail cutters. Some of my hens have certain toes that need trimming, some don't. I just check everyone's feet at least twice a year when I do their worming/dusting/health check/pedicures. :) Just clip off the tips of the claw, if it is WAY long, clip a bit, wait a week, clip a bit more, wait a week, etc. Doing it bit by bit helps the 'quick'--the live part of the nail--to recede a bit each time so you are less likely to cut into it.

Have some KwikStop (birdie anticoagulant, get it at the pet store) handy for any cuts that go too deep. If you can't get KwikStop, a bit of cornstarch works well, flour works too but not as well. If you do cause bleeding, make sure it gets stopped before leaving the chickens to go about their business.

Velvet ~:>

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Farm Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here