Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mana4_gw

hen with curling feet won't walk

mana4
15 years ago

My 4 yr old hen is refusing to walk. Her feet are curled up but I can see no injuries or swelling. I have her sitting by her feed and water and she seems to be doing fine otherwise. Her feet seem to be warm to the touch but that may be normal. She has been in this condition for about a week. Appetite good. What can I do to help her get better?

Comments (2)

• nelda1234
    15 years ago

hi mana4,

Could it be Scaly Mites? they burrow under the scales of the legs and feet causing a swollen/and or bumpy look. Are any of your other girls acting like that?

check out Velvetsparrows website as to the treatment - I now have this website in my "Favorites list" as I have been to it many times.

hope this helps!

http://jackshenhouse.com/VSChickHealth.htm

• velvet_sparrow
    15 years ago

If she's sitting on her feet, the warmth of her feet is normal.

If she is in lay, check her for signs of egg binding--it's pretty unmistakable; they will sit very upright in a penguin-like stance, and strain or push as if laying an egg every few seconds. If she IS egg bound, you need to take steps right away to get that egg out, as if it goes on too long it can be fatal. Instructions on how to help her are here:

http://jackshenhouse.com/VSChickHensBroodiesChicks.htm

If you DON'T suspect egg binding, and her condition is in one or both feet, she could have injured herself jumping down from her roost in the morning, possibly in her back if both legs are affected, or in her hip(s).

Pick her up and check her feet--when you have her in the air, does she move her legs at all? Curl and uncurl her toes? Put her on your hand and see if she grips you with her feet. GENTLY manipulate each toe, foot and leg joint--see if she reacts as if in pain, it can help you locate a problem. Also gently squeeze up and down each of her legs, from foot to hip, to check for fractures/swelling/pain response. Check the underside of each footpad for signs of Bumblefoot--swelling and/or an open wound of the pad.

One other (remote) possibility is Botulism, caused by moldy feed. Check your feed to make sure it is fresh and not musty smelling or wet, if it IS, toss it all out and get new--moldy feed is very, very bad for your chickens AND you (you breathe the spores).

I'm betting she's simply injured herself though, both my big roo and several of my hens have done this jumping down from the roost in the morning--never mind that the little boneheads have a ladder they can WALK down, oh no, they must jump! In all cases it just took some rest & relaxation, with food and water within easy reach, for them to heal up and go back about their business. How long they take to heal up depends on the injury--a few days, or in the case of Maggie, my New Hampshire hen, 5 months (fractured thigh) on my kitchen floor as a houseguest!

Velvet ~:>

Sponsored
J.E.S. Home Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
Loudoun County's Full-Scale Construction Firm