Return to the Farm Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
lighting in chicken tractor

Posted by keiki 10 FL (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 21, 10 at 9:46

I need to put a light in my chicken tractor but I am unsure how to do it without a having power cord all over the lawn. I want to be able to have this on a timer if possible also since we just need on a few hours. Any and all suggestions appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: lighting in chicken tractor

Sure. All you need is a light that doesn't use any power. Problem solved.

Sorry, but any solar powered light I've ever seen is quite dim and isn't going to work to extend daylight hours and make the hens lay eggs (which is the only reason I can think of to light a chicken tractor.)

You might be able to find a battery powered one. I've got a really good rechargeable one, but it does not give enough light to stimulate birds to lay, and it doesn't have a timer, plus it probably wouldn't run long enough on one charge to do what you want.

Maybe you could run a light off of a car battery. Charge it every day and haul it back out there in the evening.

o

Very funny oregonwoodsmoke :) battery powered is what I was hoping to find someone had info on. I should have said I live in sunny Florida but was told I need extend daylight hours just a little. My brother in law, "the farmer" of the family, told my dh we needed it and I don't want cords out there to trip over. I also dont want to "make" my hens lay eggs, I just want happy healthy girls.

o

If you don't care about the egg production, just let them live in whatever the natural light is. They don't need extended light for their health.

o

I never got around to putting in the "required" lighting my hen just laid her first egg on the 20th of December which is one of the shortest days of the year and now leaves me a present almost every day with just a south facing window

Now if you needed more eggs or consistent production the lights would be much more important but honestly with my 3 chickens one who seems to be a rooster lol I would spend more on lighting then on store bought eggs

good luck with your chickens

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Farm Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here