Return to the Farm Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Managing poop in a small chicken coop?

Posted by sail Z5b (windsailor97@yahoo.com) on
Wed, Dec 2, 09 at 10:32

I am a backyard flock newbie planning to build a mobile chicken coop out of old palets, "A" frame style with nesting on the top. Since I am still planning, I figured I would attempt to make it easy to clean. I was thinking about adding a slide out tray or that sort of thing.

Are there tricks to managing the droppings? A naive question, do they poop just anywhere?

Any advice is appreciated.

Sail

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Managing poop in a small chicken coop?

Sail,
Oh, yes, chickens poop just anywhere! And frequently! You can put a slanted board under the roost that catches most of the poop. You can make it removable or stationary (in which case you scrape). If the coop is to be mobile, you can move the coop, scoop the poop and put it on the compost pile.
Don't we have fascinating conversations here on the Farm Life forum?

o

I suppose they can't be potty trained??? :)

I will incorporate a removable plastic tray into the design and see how that works out.

o

Honey, if you can potty train chickens, take your show on the road and make a bundle! I personally would hire you to train my flock. I love my girls, but not only do they lack table manners, but their bathroom habits need upgrading, also.
A removable plastic tray should work fine (also easier to hose off if necessary).
Your hens will be fine, happy, and you'll enjoy them immensely. My husband says watching the girls is better than reality TV.

o

I had seen a pit on a website and have used a plastic bin under my roosts.This worked great.I just added shredded leaves or sawdust on top and it didn't smell bad...a couple of my hens layed next to it and I moved it(it had been a while since I emptied it!)The mice exploded out of it,behind it,they were even nesting in it!I took it out and am catching mice now-up to 20 so far.When I put it back,I will be sure to empty it regularly.Posy_Pet

o

If your making it mobile, just put rabbit wire as the floor and let droppings fall to the ground. Or make the floor slatted , of course droppings will fall tru the wire easier. Youll need to take a wire brush to the wire once in a while but its easier than having to empty some container.
josh

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Farm Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here