Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
belz_gw

Chicken possibly with Crookneck - recovery question

Belz
11 years ago

Hi everyone,
I read an old post from 2008 where a member suggested the vitamins below for Crookneck (which I believe my 6-year old Buff Orpington hen may have). I have been giving her the vitamins for a week.
She has improved but still only lifts her head to chest height. She walks pretty well when I can let her out(we've had alot of rain this week) and she seems to eat her regular crumbles and scratch feed. At the very least, she is pecking at it and spreading it around thoroughly! She also appears able to drink the electrolyte mix that I prepare for her (at first I had to give it to her in a dropper).

The end of the 2008 post says that recovery takes time. I'm curious about how long it usually takes to recover fully.
Or, if after a week of special care, we might be at the hen's permanent ability range?
Also, she has lost alot of weight. Any ideas on feed to help her gain that back?
She's a pet now (no egg laying that we've found the last 2 years).
Thanks for reading this and sharing your advice!
Belz

Vitamin mix from 2008 posting on this site:
Daily Dosage:
400 IU of vitamin E (one human capsule)
Selenium 50 micrograms (You may have to get a larger tablet and cut it in half or quarters)
Crush the Selenium into a fine powder. Take the Vitamin E capsules a poke a hole in one end with a pin, then squeeze the luquid out into a tiny dish. Mix the powdered Seleium into the Vitamin E liquid using a wooden matchstick or something similar. Hold the chick in one hand, with the other scoop up a small amount of the mixture, pry open the chicks� beak and place the mix inside the chick�s beak, allowing it to swallow it on it�s own. Fed the chick the entire mixture. Do this once a day for 7 days.

This isn't an injury that heals rapidly. It takes medication and TIME.

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor