Return to the Farm Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My Golden Polish stopped laying?

Posted by nelda1234 Z5-IN (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 15, 08 at 13:15

Merry Christmas,

My Golden Polish stopped laying about 2-3 months ago, I thought maybe it was because we were enlarging coop at the time and the noise bothered her. Well, she still is not laying, we even caged her for a week w/I the coop and still no egg.

She is healthy, eating and drinking fine, runs around outside-everything same, same-what could be the problem?

Anybody have any ideals?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My Golden Polish stopped laying?

How old is she? Traditionally the older hens are set for the soup pot.

o

It's winter! Mother Nature has most hens take a break from egg laying during this time of year, our egg production always slows to a thin trickle during the colder months. Unless she's ill, she should start up again when the weather warms and the days start to get longer again (more daylight) after the 21st of December. :) I'll bet come Springtime she's properly twitterpated again just like my girls, and running around hollering about her latest egg!

Velvet ~:>

o

Hi everybody,

No, she is not old/or sick, we got her this February, my daughter is 4 and she picked her out and named her Mamie Cook! Even if she was old stew pot would not be an option! LOL!

I was concerned because she is the only Polish we have and was afraid that we had done her a grave injustice by not getting her a friend or two of her own to hang out with, she mostly stays by herself. All the rest hang out together or in pairs. The other day was the first time I saw her act aggressive towards another hen by running across the yard w/head down and wings out hitting the other hen broadside then running away! I was very surprised! What do you suppose that was all about?

Oh and by the way I bought rolled oats and mixed it in there food and you would have thought they had died and went to heaven-they loved it!

One more question, I have one hen who is the last to start molting will the oats help her put on fat to keep warm this winter-should I be concerned for her?

o

Chickens are chickens, and I'm sure she is fine with her other friends. If you want her to start laying again extending her photoperiod with a light on an extension chord and timer would probably be the first step.

o

Hi,
I have 4 polish, they are only about 18 months old and I haven't seen any eggs from them since summer, they are very ornamental, entertaining girls but consistan layers t they are not. Just enjoy them for their specialness and if you get eggs that's a bonus :)

Sheila

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Farm Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here