Return to the Farm Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mystery Hen! What Breed Is This?

Posted by vickikenton California (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 8, 09 at 13:46

I bought some pullets over the summer and have been able to figure out most of the breeds (Buff Orpington, Black Cochin, Rhode Island Red, Silver Laced Wyandote) but two hens are a mystery to me. One is all black (glossy greenish black!) with some brown feathers (less than 10% mix) on the front of her neck. She lays medium brown eggs similar to my Red (darn! I was hoping she was a Maran!). The other hen is a mix of brown/black feathers and when she bends over to peck at the ground, her "fluff" between her legs is gray, and she lays white (barely tinted) eggs. She's also a very light-weight bird, slim & more flighty than my other breeds. I have a pic I could post or email.
Vicki in Roseville, CA

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mystery Hen! What Breed Is This?

The glossy greenish black hen sounds like a Black Australorp, a wonderful breed! Friendly, good layers, withstand heat and cold well, and are lovely. Guess which breed we have!

o
RE: Mystery Hen! What Breed Is This?

Yes, please post the pics! :)

Your first hen may be a Black Sex Link, see this feathersite.com page and see if she matches anyone there:

http://feathersite.com/Poultry/CGP/Sex-links/BRKSexLink.html

Your other hen is a bit more mysterious! She might be a mix of two breeds...

So yes, pictures please! :)

Velvet ~:>

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Farm Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here