Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
acer_gw

I'm disappointed with the size of my eggs...

acer
14 years ago

Hi

I have a mix of duck breeds: Welsh Harlequins, a Cayuga, and a mallard. The mallard started laying about a month ago, and her eggs are pretty big. I'd say they're as big or bigger than jumbo chicken eggs. The Cayuga's eggs are about XL.

But I've been disappointed with the Welsh Harlequin eggs: I don't have a scale, but I'd guess that they're only large at best. The birds are about 8 months old and have only just begun laying. I thought duck eggs were supposed to be bigger than chicken eggs, and that's what I put in my Craigslist ad. Can somebody offer me some advice? The ducks are free-range during the day and cooped at night. I feed them laying pellets and they have plenty of water to play in. Does egg size increase under certain conditions? I hope so.

Comments (6)

• sheryl_ontario
    14 years ago

It could be the time of year. Chickens don't lay a lot and what they do lay is very small in the winter. It is determined by day length. Some breeds quit laying altogether. We use a light on a timer to extend the daylight hours at either end of the day and that gets us lots of large eggs throughout the wintertime.

I don't have ducks but I know that young chickens, just starting, lay very small, even tiny, eggs for awhile. It can take a couple of months for a new layer to lay large, normal eggs regularly. We get all kinds of "odd" eggs from new layers. Some with no shell, some with bumps, some white with hardly any colour or thickness at all and most are tiny.

• prmsdlndfrm
    14 years ago

I concur, you have all the facts, the only other possible difference in egg size is breed of bird, for example in my chickens my americanas lay a nice large egg and lay more than 270 per year, but my orpingtons lay only 240 plus per year but its a nice jumbo egg, same with ducks, khaki campbells are the egg laying champions, 300 plus per year, but the eggs are not as large as say pekins, which will lay 240 plus per year, but thier eggs are much larger.
    josh

• gardengalrn
    14 years ago

Yes, I agree that my Buffs and Americanas lay nice big eggs. A few of my other girls do too but I'm noting that my productions and RI Reds lay a smaller egg during the winter. Lori

• eric_wa
    14 years ago

acer,

Give them a couple of months. My Khaki Campbell's eggs started out all over the scale.

{{gwi:49414}}
    They went from small quail size to almost goose eggs.

I've also noticed over the years they don't like change in feed. Eggs get small or thin shelled. They sometimes stop laying altogether. You should also stay away from chicken medicated feeds.

Ducks require 14 hours light for good production. When I lock the ducks up at night, I leave their light on. Two compact flourscents.

Eric

• goldenpond
    14 years ago

I am quite pleased with my duck eggs ,most are the size of good size chicken eggs and some give us double yolkers quite often. We get small greenies from NaPollyanna who looks wild.The others are a mix.Magpie,cayuga,etc

{{gwi:36007}}

{{gwi:49417}}

• eric_wa
    14 years ago

goldenpond,

Those are very nice eggs, you should be proud.

acer,

Now that it's about a month later, how are the eggs. The ducks reproductive system should be more in order.

Eric