Return to the Farm Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Are Winter Peas Edible?

Posted by babalubird 7b, 8a TX (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 29, 08 at 17:11

We're planting an acre in Winter Peas, primarily to put nitrogen in our potential garden. I was told Winter peas look something like black-eyed peas.

So curiosity question, can Hubby and I eat these peas. I understand that you can eat both the peas and the leaves in salads of the Cow Peas. Can you use the leaves of the Winter Peas raw in salads as well?

Thanks.

Connie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Are Winter Peas Edible?

Connie,
The 'Austrian Winter Peas' that I've seen advertized(and I planted them one year) for planting in wildlife food plots do not resemble blackeye/pinkeye/cowpeas in any respect - they are, for all intents and purposes, an 'unimproved' 'English pea'/snowpea type(Pisum sativum, maybe?) pod & seed - the little round green peas.
I would suppose that the leaves and pods/peas would be edible - I just don't know how tasty.

Here is a link that might be useful: Austrian winterpea

o

It's mid-May here. My Austrian Winter Peas have grown 6-7 feet tall up my 6 ft chainlink fence. They flowered cute little purple flower which gave way to mini looking snow pea pods with seeds the size of pin heads at this time of the season.

I ate one today and it tasted like a tender, fresh garden pea; the flower, stems and leaves taste the same at this time. It will be interesting to see the taste as the summer progresses and they age.

o

I grew about 40 row feet of Austrian Winter two years ago. You can use the sprouts and shoots as greens, the young pods as snow peas, the green shelling stage is perfectly edible but a little more starchy than traditional green peas. The dry pea is a yellow soup pea -- I ground mine into pea flour and used small quantities in bread baking. To my knowledge, there isn't a practical way to split and dehull dry peas at home.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Farm Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here