Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kbrown392

Calling all chicken experts!

kbrown392
15 years ago

Hello all! I have been a lurker on this forum for years, hoping to one day have a small hobby farm with chickens and a HUGE!!! garden! LOL! Well I finally met the man of my dreams and we are on our way!!!

My BF surprised me with baby chicks! The problem is, he has no idea what breed they are. I have researched it to death, and still can't figure it out! Would you experts please visit my photobucket album and tell my what you think? I would really appreciate it!!! BTW, I do know that the big white one is a turkey! He/she was not part of my plan, but I absolutley adore him/her now!My research tells me that keeping turkeys and chickens together is a bad idea, so any advice on that would also be greatly appreciated!

The link is http://photobucket.com/Kristasgirls

Thanks so much to all of you for your inspiration and in advance for any help you can give!

Krista

Comments (3)

• johanna_h
    15 years ago

Krista--

I am not an expert, but here's my input for what it's worth. The reddish one looks like my Rhode Island Red when it was a chick. The one with black marks looks like an Ameraucana (green eggs!). And the black one with lighter belly looks like my Cuckoo Marans did when they were very very young. If that's what it is, the stripes will start to come in soon with the feathers. I couldn't find a photo of my Black Australorps as chicks -- don't remember if they had lighter bellies.

If you haven't looked already, the Murray McMurray website shows what the chickens look like as chicks as well as adults.

Enjoy!

--Johanna

Here is a link that might be useful: My place: Busy Solitude Farm

• velvet_sparrow
    15 years ago

OK, I'll give it a try. :)

Your older chicks: The black one with the silly white poof on it's head is a White Crested Black Polish. The fluffy white bird in the same pictures with it appears to be a Brahma or possibly a Cochin, although it looks too tall in the shank of the leg to be a Cochin. The gray/white striped bird in the turkey pics is a Barred Rock or Dominique, the bird with the 'eyeliner' in the same pic is an Americaunas, the other reddish bird could be a Cinnamon Brown or a Red Star.

With your baby chicks, the light colored one with the feathered feet (Clementine) looks like a Cochin, the other one with the chipmunk stripes (Hazel) in an Americaunas. Gertrude looks like a Australorp or a Jersey Giant. Penny looks to possibly be a Rhode Island Red, but she also has big fluffy cheeks like a Buff Orpington--but not the gigantic feet of one. Hmmmm......

feathersite.com has tons of chicken pics by breed, with baby chick pics that might help you really nail these little guys down.

Enjoy your chicks! :)

Velvet ~:>

• kbrown392
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Wow! Thanks Velvet and Johanna! You have given me a lot to chew on! Velvet, I've been to feathersite.com and looked at all the pics, but all that did was make me want to get more chickens!!!LOL
    Well, my guesses were close to yours so when people ask, I'll just tell them we have a variety of breeds! Pretty sure Madeline is a black polish and Penny's RIR..the rest???
    Doesn't really matter, I love them all like crazy anyway!
    Thanks!
    Krista

PS Velvet~I love your website! That close up picture of Bear had my whole family cracking up! Thanks for a great resource!