Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
blueberrier1

What sprayer for ten acre hayfield/pasture?

blueberrier1
12 years ago

Has anyone used a sprayer that is no more than 16-24 feet in spray coverage? Want to spray fish emulsion, raw milk and/or trace minerals on a hay and pasture fields. Am organic, so no weed killers or synthetic materials will be used-and want a new rig.

Would appreciate any info: brands, model numbers, opinions, etc. Thanks.

Comments (8)

• wertach zone 7-B SC
    12 years ago

Check with Tractor Supply, they have some pretty good stuff.

• blueberrier1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Checked with TS and their 150 gallon sprayers only work on a three point hitch. Am looking for a tow-behind. Have heard of a 24HP ATV pulling a 500 gallon tank of nutrients...but am looking for a 150 gallon rig.

• gator_rider2
    12 years ago

You can find one here but prices will be better at tractor supply or agri-supply

Here is a link that might be useful: sprayers

• exmar zone 7, SE Ohio
    12 years ago

Not too familiar with those materials in a sprayer, but I'd think you'd want a good filter as most sprayers are meant to spray water and chemicals. Particulates would clog and burn up a 12V. pump which would be what you'd use in a ATV tow behind scenario.

You might consider building one for your application. 12V pumps aren't too expensive, spray nozzles to give you a 16 foot pattern-ditto. If you have a trailer rated for 1500 lbs. (you mentioned 150 gallon that's about 1350) add some wiring, tubing GOOD filter and a 8 foot removable "boom" metal or wood and you're good to go. Tanks are readily available. The whole thing would be light enough to offload and store.

Visit TSC and look at their selection of 12V pumps, etc. for ideas. You can probably beat their prices online except for the tank.

Good luck,

Ev

Here is a link that might be useful: 12V Ag Pumps

• wertach zone 7-B SC
    12 years ago

Good idea Ev! Now you've got me thinking, a dangerous thing!

I have a 12v submersible pump that I use to pump water from my rain barrels at the barn. I bought it years ago because its too far to run a drop cord.I can get a free "tote tank" at work, holds about 300 gallons. I already have a trailer that will handle the weight.

A little PVC, some spray nozzles and I can be up and running with liquid fertilizer instead of mounting that pain in the, "You Know", fertilizer slinger on my tractor!

I feel a project coming on!

• exmar zone 7, SE Ohio
    12 years ago

Will you get enough pressure out of a sump pump to use nozzles? Interesting project, let us know how it develops,

Good luck,

Ev

• wertach zone 7-B SC
    12 years ago

It produces enough pressure to run a sprinkler, so it may be enough.

• gduke2
    12 years ago

Ok. I am in a similar position but need different info; I have the sprayer but don't know much about it.

In the back of the barn I found an old spray rig - cannot ever remember using it since we normally get bulk delivery and distribution. Consistes of 55gal drum, 3 piece boom (8', 4'-6" and 8' for a total coverage of 20'6" or 8'+ vertical in orchards).

The pump is hand pressurized; no motors, PTO etc.

Markings on the tank say "HYDRO PUMP" and a sticker (worn) on the frame says "JOHNSON ________ PRODUCTS". Tank and frame are yellow.

We will use it to spread liquid fetilizer on pastures and eventually for apple trees. Also have a 60 gallon FIMCO sprayer but it does not have a boom. Originally on wheels but now we just put it in the back of a pickup and use the wand on fence lines.

Not sure how to add a photo but if anyone has any ideas I can send a picture. Thanks in advance.