Return to the Farm Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Automatic chicken watering

Posted by toomuchremodeling 10 (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 6, 09 at 20:27

I have a coop with six chickens. It is about 70 feet down a relatively steep hill, so I am not keen on schlepping buckets of water every day. The owner of the place rigged a hose down to the coop, and put a little thing on the end that lets it drip out into a pan. It really doesn't work well.

Does anyone have experience with any automated, hose-fed systems?

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Automatic chicken watering

check Murray Mcmurray catalog, they have a chicken water trough set up to be hooked to the end of garden hose.
Also with such few chickens there is a set up that uses a 5 gallon bucket that feeds down to a pan.
We use a series of 7 gallon water founts. 6 chickens are not going to drink more than a gallon or 2 even in the heat of summer, and you arre going to need to check for eggs every day. I dont see were carrying a half full 5 gallon bucket up or down a mountain every day is going to kill no one, Im 34 and my 65 year old neighbor gives me a run for my money when it comes to farm work.
josh
josh

o

I think this make better drinker single one you need adapter and soon small line 4g29 pressure reducing valve

Here is a link that might be useful: 9 inch drinker on this web site

o

We bought a large dog waterer. It has a 3 gallon container on top which feeds into a watering pan. I fill it twice a week for our six hens, and that is more often than is needed (I'm spoiling our girls). I take a 2-gallon watering can to the coop with me, remove the big bottle containing the water, refill it, clean out the pan, and replace the bottle. It's a little heavy to lift and place, but not terribly so.
In spite of your posting name, have you thought of relocating the coop closer to the house?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Farm Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here