Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardengalrn

Muscovy ducks

gardengalrn
15 years ago

I have been intrigued in reading about these ducks in the past but gave up on the idea of getting some due to the fact I could never find a source to order some. Someone here posted a list of hatcheries and on that list were two reasonable sources. One was for the splash type Muscovy and the other for pure white. I'm not sure I would be interested in the meat aspect but I'm always looking for something to help with the bug population. I think several people here on the forum have Muscovys, was wondering what your experience is with them and what your purpose in having them is. Thanks, Lori

Comments (20)

• babalubird
    15 years ago

Try this website: http://muscovyduckforum.freeforums.org/

One of the first members on the member list is from Kansas. She may be able to clue you into someone local or may even sell them herself. The site has several members, not all of which list where they live so there may be even more people from Kansas.

If you get the American Classifieds in your area, you can usually locate rural people who have several different poultry for sale or you might either check Craigslist or run a "Muscovies Wanted" ad.

I also did a search, "Muscovy Ducks Kansas" and came up with a few including this seller:

http://www.muscovyduckcentral.com/thefarm/

A websearch for Kansas Hatcheries brought this one up, but not sure if they really sell live birds--worth a phone call, or maybe they can refer you to someone:

Nelson Poultry Farm
    8530 E US Highway 24
    Manhattan, KS , 66502-8663
    Phone: 785-776-9401
    FAX: 785-776-9407

Products Description:
    Whol Poultry/Products Poultry Hatchery Live food for birds, Bird seed, Bird treats or snacks, Poultry food, Bird and fowl food

They're around--you can bet on that.

If you are looking for an efficient bug eater, you might consider guineas instead or in addition to the ducks. A terrific sight to learn about them is...

guineafowl.com

Hope all this helps.

Connie

• gardengalrn
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks a bunch, Connie. I started reading about these critters several years ago and have been interested ever since. I have read a bit about guineas as well and hope to get some in the spring. I think a lot of the praise for Muscovys came from homesteaders who relied on them for meat and eggs but it seemed they had a lot to offer. I have 10 acres but am not a homesteader so I don't know how practical they would be. I'm all for sheer entertainment purposes, though :) Lori

• babalubird
    15 years ago

Believe it or not, you can eat guineas and their eggs as well. In fact, the guineas are considered a delicacy, but you will discover all that at the guinea site as well.

But I know you want only pets. But it's good to know in case the pets get so numerous, they start to eat you out of house and home, you can eat them instead.

• goldenpond
    15 years ago

muscovies seem to abound in the wild in Florida. The babies tend to be on the bottom of the food chain though.
    They re adorable but mom and pops tend to turn people off
    {{gwi:49729}}

• asf130
    15 years ago

if you want to know something then go to website which are under this message

Here is a link that might be useful: muscovy ducks

• gardengalrn
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the links, I really enjoyed the pictures too. Lori

• islandmanmitch
    15 years ago

Muscovy ducks live wild in my area. Early one morning an alligator ate a momma duck and left about a dozen very small babies orphaned. I caught them up and raised them to adults. They were mean and nasty. They thought my porch was their bathroom. The males would walk around hissing and try to peck kids. I stopped feeding them and they flew away thank goodness. If you don't mind the noise, get guineas. Great free rangers. Busy all the time and low maintenance. Finding their eggs is a Easter egg hunt everyday. If you try to eat the eggs be prepared to whack them VERY hard to crack but they are excellent.

• msjay2u
    15 years ago

I have to agree with Goldenpond and islandmanmitch. I came from Fl and they were wild everywhere. The crapped all over the place. They also were mean when adults and unapproachable often chasing and nipping at kids. When I moved to NC I started reading all the good things people had to say about them and I thought maybe the bad experience was from the ducks in FL being wild ones. I got a couple from a lady at the feed store. She said they multiplied like crazy so she takes them up to the feed store and trades them for food ($3 for each duckling). She sold me 3. I brought them home and kept them in the house because they were so small. They produced an unbelievable amount of poop. Well to make a long story short they wound up dying. I was kind of glad because they were high maintenance. I am going to try some Guineas. I heard if you keep them in a cage for for about a month or two when they are babies they will not stray far once you let them loose. I have heard they are noisey which some people think is an advantage since they will alert you to strangers on the property and they stray easily.
    Good luck with whatever you decide. Most of the time when people post a question they already have their mind made up so if you decide to get the ducks let us know how it works out.

• brendan_of_bonsai
    15 years ago

Just so yall know its quite irresponsible to let them go into the wild. Its like releasing cats and pet snakes, bad for the wild animals that we need to maintain the wild places that we need to live.

• islandmanmitch
    15 years ago

Yeah I see it was very irresponsible of a 10 years old now that you have enlightened me. After living in Florida for all my life this is the first time I have ever heard about invasive's or exotics? Whew I am in constant awe of your vast knowledge. What do you think needs to be done to save our economy? Cure for AIDS? World peace? Unwanted puppies?
    As a kid I figured they came from the river they went back to the river so the balance was reset. Besides the alligators needed something to eat.

• seramas
    15 years ago

islandmanmitch--hardly worth the effort, but...here...goes...BRENDON 4 PRESIDENT!!!!!

• islandmanmitch
    15 years ago

Why would he step down to "President" when is already a "Dic-tater" for life?

• brendan_of_bonsai
    15 years ago

Was that information false or incomplete? Was it unnecessary, does everyone who has read this know about the impact of invasive species? Does everyone know why invasive species are a bad thing?

?IF the answer to any of those questions wasn't no then my comment does not belong, however I highly suspect that the answer was no, which makes my comment appropriate. Your personal attacks however added nothing to the conversation.

You never mentioned that you were 10, but yes it was irresponsible as a 10 year old, children routinely do irresponsible things, that is why we do not hold children responsible for all of their actions.

Criticizing someone for not having the answers to the big problems is an underhanded way to argue; why should we listen to what you have to say about ducks since you don't have those answers? The truth is that those are non-sequeters and you know it, you are just being sardonic.

• islandmanmitch
    15 years ago

"Sardonic"? Yes I was. "Add to the conversation"? Not in a positive manner. From now on I'll try not to misbehave. Now if you would try being a little more tactful with your postings?

• msjay2u
    15 years ago

Brendan do you even have any animals? If so what, how many and for how long. Also do you live in Alaska, Colorado or where?

• brendan_of_bonsai
    15 years ago

I'm from Alaska, I'm going to school (Biology&Chemistry) in South West Colorado. I had a handful of chickens and geese a few years back until they changed the laws in anchorage to ban farm animals on lots under 5 acres in the city, that ordinance has been amended. I've raised and bred a number of tropical and marine fish as well as corals and insects and reptiles and I've been involved with experiments using Prairie Chickens, rats, mice, frogs and rabbits. Most of what I say that people get angry at me for is completely independent of pet ownership, like talking about the biological activity of compounds, nutrients and "medicine", and talking about the ecological impact of certain choices, the one time I didn't have solid evidence in the scientific litterature to back me up I freely admitted my fault.

• canuckistani
    15 years ago

Can you keep Guinea Fowl in Zone 5? Is there a good market for their meat?

• brendan_of_bonsai
    15 years ago

You can keep guinea fowl in Zone 5, just be sure you put them in a draft free coop at night, also watch closely when they have keets, the keets are very fragile and they are horrible mothers.

There is not a well established market for their meat in the US, but most backyard farmers sell to friends, and your friends are unique to you.

• Niivek
    9 years ago

Resurrecting this topic instead of starting anew. I got a drake and 3 hens earlier this spring. They are free ranging on about 20 acres, but keep mainly to the yard and swamp/pond right near the yard. All three hens are sitting on eggs, and I'm kicking myself for not writing down the date I noticed them nesting. It was sometime in early May. The eggs should be hatching sometime in the next couple weeks. Once they hatch, should I collect up the ducklings and put them in a brood box, or do the hens take pretty good care of the hatchlings? I would kind of like to move them away from the nests since they are not in the most ideal section of the yard. Can I or should move the ducklings and hens into the chicken coop? I'd like them to get used roosting in the coop come winter.

• Sandy Brownstone
    5 years ago

We just adopted a stray male Muscovy duck from the Marin Humane Society. His name is Marty and I bought him for my husband on our 17th wedding anniversary. We bought a 1.3 acre ranch a year ago and have 3 boys (including my hubby), 3 dogs, 13 chickens and now Marty, our handsome Muscovy duck. <3 The first night we brought him home he flew away. Two days later he was returned to the Marin Humane Society and we retrieved him again as we all fell in love with him after a few hours. We clipped his wings and are keeping him with the chickens in the very large pen for now and at night in the chicken coop. We are hoping that by the time his wings grow back he will know that this is his home and he will want to stay. We live along a creek, have amazing live oaks and bay trees perfect for this species. Any other advice on how to care for Marty would be greatly appreciated. Also, thinking of getting Marty a Muscovy mate. Signed Marty's new family ...