Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
blueberrier1

Tumblebug: round hay bale mover

blueberrier1
15 years ago

Recently acquired an old Tumblebug. (I am not making up the name). It is probably 30 years old, but works very well. Ours has a 2" ball connection to our Yukon and uses a scissors action to load a round bale. We then move the bale to various pasture areas. Finally, we flip the bale retainer ring over the deposited bale to reduce waste,

Earlier, we had a neighbor volunteer to have a bale fork installed on his truck to move the hay. (This neighbor shares our cattle pasture in exchange for fence maintenance). When asking folks about the truck mounted device, one farmer suggested looking for a Tumblebug. He said the truck mounted forks overstress most trucks. All the round bale folks I have known have their own large bale hauling forks on large tractors-so this implement never crossed my path. We do not have a farm tractor.

In Decenber, our area prices of used Tumblebugs ranged from $350 (what we paid) to $1000. Apparently. there is a new version that is $2000. Maybe they are much less in your area. Our neighbor bolted a jack stand to the hitch, so we do not have to use a concrete block to keep the tongue out of the dirt.

Maybe this implement has another name. If you have experience with this, please share. Am interested in the history of this tool. It looks as though the 'cradle' area could be used to haul logs from the woods, posts for fencing, etc.

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Rodriguez Construction Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading Home Builders in Franklin County, OH