Return to the Farm Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tumblebug: round hay bale mover

Posted by blueberrier1 6/ctrl KY (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 28, 08 at 22:48

Recently acquired an old Tumblebug. (I am not making up the name). It is probably 30 years old, but works very well. Ours has a 2" ball connection to our Yukon and uses a scissors action to load a round bale. We then move the bale to various pasture areas. Finally, we flip the bale retainer ring over the deposited bale to reduce waste,

Earlier, we had a neighbor volunteer to have a bale fork installed on his truck to move the hay. (This neighbor shares our cattle pasture in exchange for fence maintenance). When asking folks about the truck mounted device, one farmer suggested looking for a Tumblebug. He said the truck mounted forks overstress most trucks. All the round bale folks I have known have their own large bale hauling forks on large tractors-so this implement never crossed my path. We do not have a farm tractor.

In Decenber, our area prices of used Tumblebugs ranged from $350 (what we paid) to $1000. Apparently. there is a new version that is $2000. Maybe they are much less in your area. Our neighbor bolted a jack stand to the hitch, so we do not have to use a concrete block to keep the tongue out of the dirt.

Maybe this implement has another name. If you have experience with this, please share. Am interested in the history of this tool. It looks as though the 'cradle' area could be used to haul logs from the woods, posts for fencing, etc.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tumblebug: round hay bale mover

Learned that this tool is also called a Bale Buggy and was originally made/designed(?) in Arkansas in the 70s. It is great for our needs.

o

I remember seeing a documentary on hay harvesting and the original use for that piece of equipment was in the paper industry. They use it to move large rolls of paper about-then it was used in the flooring industry to move rolls of carpet and linoleum around. Each used some modified version of it.

As a boy I remember setting on the international harvester baler and tying the twine as the bail was compressed. Those were the fun times that later grew in to dreaded have to do work in my later years.

o

Seramas, thanks for the history. Easy to see how any cylinder would ride well on this implement. I thought it would be great for hauling fence posts out back as well. If it were lined, it would be a 'lower to the ground' surface to toss field rocks...at least in my area.

o

• Posted by seramas http://www.agequipme (My Page) on
    Mon, Jan 12, 09 at 22:57

blueberrier1, only said I saw a doc on making hay and how it described many of the farm implements were adaptations of existing inventions. Sorry you took offense to it. It won't happen again.

o

Seramas, absolutely no offense at all. Am happy that you shared what you learned. From your various posts, I have learned so much. Please continue to share, and we can realize more adaptations.

o

I owned a Tumblebug about 25 years ago that I bought new. I didn't have a tractor at the time and pulled it with my El camino truck. Worked great. I actually was looking for one now when I found this on Google search. Mine had a long arm that fell over and hooked into the bale and pulled it onto the trailer as you pulled forward. I thought they were madein Oklahoma, anyone know where to find one.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Farm Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here