Return to the Frugal Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Organize my patio container garden

Posted by srilunewgardener CA 9 (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 23, 09 at 12:11

Hi,
I have a small patio and I want to grow some vegetables this summer.I haven't started planting vegetables yet. But, I already have about 20 containers. When I start planting vegetables I will have at least 10-15 more planters. I need a way to organize them as they will be filling up my whole patio. Any frugal ideas? How about cinder blocks and some wooden top, like plywood or pallets if I can find?
Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Organize my patio container garden

I mean, I want to make some plant shelves. any ideas?
Thanks,
Srilu

o

• Posted by siris Germany (My Page) on
    Fri, Jan 30, 09 at 5:21

Pallets would work fine for it. The cinderblocks would, too, when you can keep the "tabletop" supported. The plywood might warp.

Though, personally, I wouldn't use whole pallets. Sure, they're a big table that can hold quite a few pots, but you might run into issues when working with the plants. If you were to halve them, you could, for example, go around the perimiter of your patio, and either have a center larger table that you can walk around, or have little rows of shelves coming from the perimiter. It'd give the plants more space, and you more working space. Plus, it's easier to see insect problems, and seperate them when it's not all on 2-3 huge platforms.

By halving, I mean cutting the 3 support bars that hold the top and feet of the pallet together. 3 small cuts to make 2 parts.

o

Thank you for the reply. Cutting the pallets and arranging along the wall is a great idea. But I don't have tools to cut the pallets and I have never done any kind of wood work before. I also like to idea of using table tops. I got some cinder blocks for free from craigslist. I will buy table tops or get some wooden shelves from lumber store. Once again, thank you for the great ideas.

o

Wire racks shelves are worth a look.

o

I think wire racks might be good too because they'd let in more light to the lower shlves (depending on where you'd locate them).
Maybe your goodwill or your freecycle might be a source?

o

I,too, have many container plants which I would like to arrange in my small patio. I have looked at shelves, but I think that would be too expensive.
My patio is open, so it gets rain. Could wall building blocks work, or would they be costly as well?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Frugal Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here