Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
teapot7

Need inexpensive front yard ideas

teapot7
9 years ago

We are in Southern California and we have a font yard with 1000 sqft of lawn that we are getting rid of. We have a tiny back yard and a energetic toddler that needs some place to play. There are a row of privet that we planted along the fence and that is the only thing that we would like to keep. If we only have $500 budget, what should we do? Can we mulch the entire area (mulch from the big box stores)? How about gravel? Your help would be greatly appreciated!

Comments (10)

• teapot7
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

View from front.

• teapot7
    Original Author
    9 years ago

@Sylvia thank you so much for the wonderful ideas. We are going to do some reasearch and definitely look into your detailed instructions. This forum is filled with wonderful and generous people like you. Thanks again!

• sylviatexas1
    9 years ago

You're welcome!

It's gratifying to feel that I have something to share with younger/newer gardeners!

• ala8south
    9 years ago

Wow Sylvia has given some excellent advice! Please let me add a few tidbits of info I've learned along the way. The free mulch from tree trimmers is great. HOWEVER! If it is fresh, un composted material it will be great for your paths and around your beds. But I was told it should only be added to your planting beds after it has composted down....and it takes quite a long while for that to happen. Has to do with the process of the decomposition interfering with the plants uptake of nutrients I believe.

When someone gives you a plant it is real helpful to write down what they tell you about the plant immediately so you don't get confused. Ask the specifically about the size the plant reached in their garden. And do further research on any plant before placing in your garden. Especially to discover whether or not the plant can be invasive or heavily self-seed. There are uses for those plants, But you need to be forewarned and plan accordingly to restrict the area for those plants before planting.

And DO pay attention to the spacing of plants. Gee I've wasted a lot of time digging and moving plants because I forgot that. If you drive around a neighborhood and look at the front yards, even very elegant neighborhoods, you will see how incredibly often planting distances are overlooked and the problems that are caused as a result.

And try not to bite off more than you can chew. We all tend to jump in and do way more than we should really try the first year. I've seen so many get turned off of gardening simply because they had planted way too much and couldn't stand the maintenance required. Remember that the first 2-3 years of weeding are going to be the worst because it is new gardens. That part should get better over time.

With a toddler I'd also be careful to check on the toxicity factor for any plants that might produce berries. Hard to watch what they are doing every minute!
    Oh, have fun with your project!

One thing I wish I had done in my yard was to first consider what shrubs I might want....those things that can be large, bushy, and not need any weeding underneath because they are their own mulch. Those are the backbone of a garden. Everything else can fit in around them.
    Dell

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    9 years ago

Wonderfully thorough ideas!
    1 thing I didn't see mentioned was to check out local events for plant sales; our county extension, university & vo-techs sell plants, along w/ garden festivals & our local garden club has fundraising sales 2x/ yearly & grow and share events as well. I've gotten many great natives & perennials for practically nothing that way...

• sylviatexas1
    9 years ago

Tree trimmings & store-bought mulch only cause nitrogen draft if they're dug in to the soil;
    I did recommend using them on top, just as Nature does.

I did forget to mention the wonderfulness of cardboard.

Get flattened cardboard boxes from any dollar store (or other store that discards them) on the days that the store stocks the shelves;
    they'll have tons.

Lay the cardboard on your bare ground, using lots of overlap, & cover with tree trimmings or other mulch.

Leave it undisturbed for a few months, until you're ready to do something with that area, & then pull back the mulch & now-mushy cardboard, & you're ready to go.

The cardboard prevents light from reaching weed seeds & grass, & the deterioration of the materials will make the ground easier to work.

• ala8south
    9 years ago

Sylvia, good to know the mulch can still be used on the top of the ground before it has composted. And the cardboard is an excellent suggestion. The older I get the more I have to mulch out areas I won't be planting. Weeding' getting tough! Ha. In our area I think the cheapest plants have been for sale once a year at the local school for the handicapped. It's fun to shop there because the residents of the school are so proud of their plants and making sales. And their plants have consistently been better than those offered by the local Master Gardeners group!

• Sheryl Gallant
    9 years ago

I have used cardboard with inches of mulch on top to cover large areas. It works great! You cut holes in the cardboard to plant things. Don't even remove the grass first. The cardboard will smother it. Top the cardboard with a few layers of chips, grass clippings, chopped fall leaves and anything else organic that you can get. We get truckloads of large wood chips from the city for free. They are find for any garden if you dig in a substantial amount of composted manure first to offset the depletion of nitrogen in the soil form the wood chips using it up as they decompose. Old manure can be had for free too.

Here are some pics to demonstrate what can be done:[pics #1[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/landscaping-without-grass-phbr0lbl-bl~l_47140) and [pics #2[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/rock-and-mulch-front-yard-landscaping-phbr0lbl-bl~l_37109)

• s8us89ds
    8 years ago

Great question! The best way to re-landscape naturally is to let the expert do it for you: Mother Nature. Remember there is no such thing as "weeds". Some of the most beautiful native wildflowers, grasses, and berry bushes are considered "weeds". They feed birds, butterflies, and insects that feed everything else in the food chain. Nature scatters seeds and pollen into the wind and it travels miles. Somewhere nearby there will be native plants that are trying to reproduce and they will eventually find their way to your yard. Birds help spread plants. It's a mystery unfolding to watch what nature has in store for your property. She knows what will grow best there. She knows what is needed. She can do better than any human gardener. She just needs a little help. If you can kill that grass and identify any non-natives that sprout up, your job will be 95% done. Send us pictures once a year for the next few years to see how it takes shape.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!