Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
binky_gw

What were your best garden bargains in 2004?

Binky
19 years ago

2004 was a great year for garden bargains. Here were my top five.

1. 95 Geraniums for $12 on around July 1st. They were in a dumpster at a greeenhouse, huge, lush and lovely. I gathered my courage and asked if I could have them, the answer was no. Then I asked if I could get them at a discount since they were obviously not going to make anything on them in the trash. He finally said I could have them for 25 cents each. I backed up my car and started loading. He quickly tired of hanging around the dumpster in the heat and keeping count. I just said, how about I take anything here I want for $12 plus tax. He said okay. They were lovely this summer and I am currently wintering them over in the basement under lights. That was happy find!

2. A garage sale had two really nice benches with attached square planters for $5 each. Needless to say, I swooped in:). They are now on my deck.

3. At then end of the season, I got 9 clematis for $1 each at Lowes. They looked pretty sad, but I have high hopes.

4. Oodles of free mulch for my garden from the tree trimmers.

5. Traded lots of cool seeds with other garden web members and am starting to winter sow them. All kinds of variety for the cost of postage.

Happy, frugal gardening to you all. Eileen

Comments (13)

• cantstopgardening
    19 years ago

Ooh, good thread idea!

1. 54 bales of straw leftover from a climbing pit at a charity event.
    2. mulch from landscape company
    3. hibiscus from someone's trash (hasn't bloomed yet, don't know what color, but dear daughter wanted one desperately)
    4. wheelbarrow and garden fencing from an estate sale $12
    5. over ten pairs of garden gloves at end of season sales, none over 65 cents, and
    the Garden Web Forum-priceless!!

Eileen, any chance binky is in reference to the bunny dance?

• vetivert8
    19 years ago

Two free Eucalyptus nichollii with interesting root formation from a clearance bin. Potted by Methusela when he was a lad, and donated by his grandson;
    Two vireya rhodos for $5 each;
    a large but frost-touched Portulacaria afra 'Variegata' $5 down from $60;
    two little Dracaena for a dollar.

• Binky
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Hi "can't stop gardening". Binky is my user name because Eileen was already taken. Binky is my 8 pound half-Pomeranian, who thinks it's very cool to have a "handle" on the garden web. Sounds like you also got some great deals in 2004. Let's hope for even more in 2005:)!

• kab121170
    19 years ago

1. End of season perennials for $1 per pot-bought 60
    2. $7 rhodies in 3 gallon pots (80% off)
    3. Mystery daylilies from a nursery (divisions from their display garden) $2 for 3-5 fan clumps
    4. compost bin built from 2x4s and fence pickets found in garage and left by previous owner of my house
    5. 80 different kinds of seeds acquired through seed exchange
    6. 2 pick up loads of free horse manure and sawdust
    7. 3 pick up loads of free leaf mold from landfill

• cantstopgardening
    19 years ago

Binky- We have bunnies, and their little dance is often called the binky dance.' When they run around they often pirouette in the air, just for the fun of it. Very cute! Give my regards to Binky.

kab121170- Wow!! 60 perennials for $1 each. Terrific!! Wow. we all got some good deals .

• Barbaraga
    19 years ago

Jan. 2004 - Bulbs were 10 bags for $1 at local salvage store (bulbs were from local bulb company, so were in excellent condition) Spent $15 on daffodils and muscari
    Spring - saw lots of pots by the trash at a nursery which I wanted for seeds and cuttings. Asked if I could have them and was told to take anything by the dumpster. Got flats of dying snapdragons and begonias which all came back nicely plus free pots including 3 hanging baskets.
    Fall - Found bags of daffodils for 80% off at Wal-mart and bought bushels

• Binky
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Barbara,

AWESOME find on the bulbs. I drool to think of finding such a deal! Your garden should be lovely this spring.

Eileen

• Woodsy
    19 years ago

hi everyone..been on GW for a while..but this is the first time I've visited here...and look forward to becoming more neighborly!
    My best bargains this year:
    100 hundred hostas for a buck a piece..from Gilbert Wild Co.
    150 irises...thought there were only a few in an old bed on the property...suprize!
    100 daylilies...also dug up from same bed! It was too overgrown to see them! I thought these two "bargains" terrific, DH gave me that "WHAT? another bed!" look LOL Silver Lace Vine...$7, but it was very spindly..keeping fingers crossed.
    Woodsy

• kendal
    19 years ago

Free tree seedlings, two douglas furs, one at 1 foot tall, and the other a little over 2 feet tall, both are doing beautifully. I also got two butterfly bushs at 3 inches tall, and now one is about 4' 1/2", it looks more like a tree, the other is bushier at 2'. I got some terra cotta pots, 4", for about $1.50 each, I got three of them, they are partially painted, one purple, one green, and the other blue. They are used for starter plants.

Kendal

• Janet
    19 years ago

What a great thread! Here are mine:

1. Pickup load of clay and plastic pots, including some really huge ones, some with shrubs, herbs, and bulbs planted in them, for #15 from an estate sale.

2. A dozen Easter lilies for $.25 each at Home Depot the day after Easter. They bloomed again a few months after I transplanted them, and they still look great.

Janet

• grovespirit
    19 years ago

a bunch of cool varieties of winter veggie seeds which I got for SASE

20 fragrant reblooming Iris free from a coworker (alas, I could not bring them to CA when I moved)

a 24" tall 3-branched plumeria in exchange for an orchid that I had bought on clearance for $5

4 12" pots worth of blue salvia, an heirloom Gallica rose, 4 snowdrops, a rare pink Amarygia, and oodles of Vinca major dug from an abandoned homestead

• christit
    19 years ago

Best find was all the mulch I wanted (free) after the hurricanes hit florida. I had 3 or 4 truckloads.

• rocks23
    19 years ago

Pansies 60 cents a flat at Lowe's. It was wonderful!

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz