Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cenanoca9

Cheap Seed Sources?

cenanoca9
17 years ago

This may have been covered before, but a current favorite list would be helpful. I'm looking for mainly websites to order from. I already have done some swapping, collecting the free way (even stealing in the dark,) etc. But sometimes I just get this close to spring and need a certain flower, color, or special veggie and don't want to spend alot...So, who's your favorites?

Cena

Comments (9)

• naplesgardener
    17 years ago

I looked but didn't see a FAQ for this forum that would list "frugal" seed suppliers.
    superseeds.com, valueseeds.com and dianeseeds.com are on my frugal list. the challenge comes when you want a PARTICULAR seed or plant not sold by one of these and the shipping cost really adds up.
    That's when I start looking through members exchange lists and finding out what their wants are and getting the seed THEY want so I can get the seed I want. That's the fun part of being frugal. As long as you have patience you'll get there.

naplesgardener

P.S. I know you were joking about stealing in the dark but in Florida plant stealing is big business with thieves. They will actually strip a yard.
    I walk around my neighborhood looking for interesting plants with seeds and ask my neighbors for them. No one minds (so far). I think dedicated gardeners are happy to share and non-gardeners are mystified.

• cenanoca9
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Oh my gosh!!! I meant stealing seeds, not plants, and I was just kidding, sorry. Actually the day after I planted out a few flats of annual flowers at our church a couple of years ago, they were ALL mysteriously gone. At first I was shocked, I mean isn't it double bad to steal from a church? But my Pastor saw me re-planting and commented that we try to give to others what they need, be it food, lodging, gas money, God, a friend, etc, apparently someone needed a beautiful garden. We had a good laugh and the new flowers stayed put.
    Thank you for the sites, I only knew of valueseeds.
    Cena

• maryinpnw
    17 years ago

Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds in Missouri has excellent prices and a beautiful paper catalogue. Sand Hill Preservation in Decorah, Iowa has excellent prices as well. You'll get lots of seeds. Both are family run businesses. Baker Creek is bigger. Sand Hill has a plain catalogue. No pictures. Some incredible offerings you won't find in many places. Both offer more heirloom vegetables, fruits than flowers or herbs. Sand Hill may not be a good idea this time of year. They really are run by one family. Dad, mom and the kids with help from neighbors. Quality of both is very high. I love them.

I forgot to mention that they are both on-line.

• pitimpinai
    17 years ago

Have you tried the Seed Exchange and Winter Sowing Exchange? Look for offers for SASBE. You only pay for stamps and a bubble envelope and a little time. It's fun and cheap/ Granted, some newbies send you chaff, but for the most part the seeds are great.

Look for offers for newbies too.

• puzzlefan
    17 years ago

Pinetree Seeds (www.superseeds.com) has smaller quantities for reasonable prices. I never think of seeds being expensive though considering the amount of plants I get from them. I only wish seed starting mix and pots were available locally at discounts.

• naplesgardener
    17 years ago

I agree with pitimpinai about the Seed Exchange. When I was a "newbie" just last year I signed up for one of the gift exchanges and got so many seeds that I am still going thru my stash. So useful because you can use the ones you don't want as trade for seeds you do want. True that not all the seeds germinate but many do.
    Also to begin with grow something that will give you enough seeds that you could use as trading currency or walk around your neighborhood and gather seeds to use in trade. There are so many "free" seeds out there and someone on GW is probably looking for them.
    I have found that even "weed" seeds are useful. For example, butterflies like spanish needles (bidens pilosa). You will never see bidens pilosa in a seed catalog because it's a weed. I gathered it because I have a butterfly garden and I posted it on my GW "have to trade" list.
    Someone wanted it in trade for some bean seeds I wanted.
    Everyone has marigolds and zinnias and cosmos, etc. But "weeds" are special.lol.

Denise in Naples FL

• mommyandme
    17 years ago

Naplesgardener: thanks for the link to Dianeseeds.com. Never heard of it before. Looks VERY interesting. I, personally, use superseeds.com & value seeds.com as much as possible. Also, Crosmanseeds.com.

• scottamuss
    17 years ago

I like this place. They have lots of interesting herbs and heirlooms for cheap. I've ordered twice without problems. Haven't planted anything yet but they look good.

Here is a link that might be useful: SEEDS FOR THEE & ISAAC'S SEED SAMPLES

• scottamuss
    17 years ago

Also just found this one.

$0.35/ packet

$3.50 shipping

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.artisticgardens.com/

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting