Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nosyrosie_gw

bricks free

nosyrosie
18 years ago

I signed up with an website called Freecycle, as in freecycle.org. It is dedicated to keeping stuff out of landfills. Apparently there's a local one in several major cities, part of the overall one.

I got some bricks from a contractor who had demolished a house to rebuild; he didn't want to just throw the bricks that came from a fireplace and chimney out and he posted on Freecycle. I now have the beginnings of a brick path and patio. And they're weathered bricks, gorgeous!!!

I of course was worried about meeting up with an ax murderer and took my son. Isn't that a sad statement of the world? Anyway, I posted offering an old, big art deco dresser I had that was just way too big anymore, and I'm not planning on having a yard sale anytime soon, so-- I was able to dispense with it in a day.

Great idea and worth checking out--it's part of yahoo groups here in Atlanta.

Rose

Comments (17)

• ruthieg__tx
    18 years ago

I belong to Freecycle and while I haven't actually gotten anything from the group, I have given away numerous things.

• kemmie
    18 years ago

Just read your post. I am a memeber of freecycle also. haven't asked for anything just yet but have had some ideas of stuff that I plan on getting rid of soon. Just wanted to mention there is another site that might be of interest to you. it's called craigslist.org. Thought you might want to see what you think of it. have a good day. kimmie

• alison
    18 years ago

I've gotten some plants from Freecycle, but mostly I've given stuff away.

I posted 20 decorative cinder blocks some time ago, and I was astonished -- within 30 minutes I had over 30 responses!

It's a good idea, altho' I am a little put off by the kinds of things people put in requests for. I suppose you don't get if you don't ask, but some of the requests are over the top.

• sylviatexas1
    18 years ago

I read a funny "wanted" post one day.

It was for an antique dining room suite (it specified the type, I just can't remember, don't have that much occasion to worry about antique dining room furniture), complete with buffet, table with leaves that could seat 8, 8 chairs (6 side, 2 arm), in perfect condition.

The poster assured the possible donor that the dining furniture would be housed in a setting worthy of its heritage, etc etc etc.

It was a hilarious parody on those kinds of posts (but I bet the people it was parodying didn't get it!)

I requested 'anything for the garden' once, mentioning autumn leaves, plants, seeds, containers, bunny poo, tools, anything, & I got a 1/2 whiskey barrel planter.

& I once got about 7 takers for some extra cannas!

• rosebush
    18 years ago

nosyrosie -
    Did you have to clean the bricks very much? I want to salvage bricks from an old house on family property, but am unsure what will be involved to get them clean enough to use in paths, etc. Thanks for any feedback. rosebush

• nosyrosie
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Rosebush-

Most of the bricks had mortar stuck to them, some more, some less. It was easy to take the mortar off; it seemed to be mostly sand, but my husband said it's best to just throw it out because it might harden because it's mixed with cement. I had to kind of scrape one brick with another to get the sand/cement stuff off. Sometimes it came off in a clump, sometimes it would disintegrate off. It was not hard at all. Since the bricks were from a fireplace some of them were very whitened, some were blackened. They didn't look like much when they were piled next to a mostly torn down little house, but they are really beautiful set into the garden.

I didn't take them all because the guy agreed to take them to my house in his pick-up and I didn't want to be too much trouble, but I got the best ones (not sure how many, betw. 150-200 bricks).

Rose

• rosebush
    18 years ago

Thanks, Rose! That's all the encouragement I needed. There are TWO brick chimneys in the old house and it has to come down. I envision paths and small patio. . . :)

• roseyp8255
    18 years ago

I recently got a lot of bricks, just by asking, also on Freecycle. I have since also posted in our local "trader" magazine (bulletin board) asking for the same - specifically asked for anybody demolishing a house to call me and my neighbor (she has answering machine, I don't) - b/c we both are looking for lots of bricks.

Also have given away a sleeper sofa, etc - got pots and plants - recently gave away a metal barrell that someone wanted, and am HOPING someone will come get my HUGE extra doghouse this way (my dogs each have their OWN igloo house)...

• princess_mimi
    18 years ago

I LOVE freecycle! I appeared on a local news channel to promote it and this week was interviewed by a newspaper for an article on freecycle. They will be coming to take photos of my satellite dish gazebo on Monday! Woo Hoo!!!

I salvaged bricks from two houses being demolished and have used them to edge beds.

Other things that I got from freecycle:
    clawfoot bath tub
    bowling balls
    slate shingles
    sink (for my potting bench)
    compost container
    wooden windows

and lots of other things!

Have fun with your bricks!

~~Mimi

• Adnama
    18 years ago

Pics, mimi?

• girlndocs
    18 years ago

Gourd bless Freecycle :) I posted looking for bricks yesterday and that same day someone mailed me saying he had bricks I "might have to clean" but I could haul off if I wanted them.

"Might have to clean" turned out to mean they'd been mellowing years under leafmold and cedar needles and had a wonderful patina of age. About half of them had beautiful moss on them. I bet there are people who would *pay* for bricks like that.

I only managed to load maybe half the big pile into the minivan before it just got too heavy. I'm going back next week for the rest!

Kristin

• dancingmoons
    18 years ago

I found out about freecycle thru this forum, and went and signed up...I asked for some old "throw away" type yard items, ...no response yet, but i did get a georgeous headboard and footboard for my full sized bed through one of their listings in my town!!
    Great web site!

• nosyrosie
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Kristin, I hope you were able to get more of those bricks. It's like finding gold!

Dancingmoons, I think this is a great forum, too. I once found instructions on how to make a garden bench out of a headboard and footboard, and my hubby did make it. It wasn't too hard; he's not the greatest handyman but the bench was truly lovely. However, since it wasn't painted with some kind of protection against weather, it's rotted apart. I'm going to be on the lookout for another headboard and footboard myself now.

I'm going to do a separate post now, to try and find the instructions on how to make it. We'll have to go by recollection otherwise.

Rose

• nosyrosie
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Well, I don't have to post because there is a thread out there that gives me the info I need (http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/frugal/msg0816531427019.html)
    Now I'm eyeing my son's bottom bunk with a gleam in my eye.
    :)
    Rose

• mickimax
    18 years ago

You might also try your local Habitat for Humanity Re-store. I just bought 180 12" red clay bricks for only 15 cents each.

• Demeter
    17 years ago

Thanks to this thread, I joined Freecycle last week. On Saturday I posted an offer for some old fencing and gates we removed last year, and somebody came and took them away on Sunday! Hooray for Freecycling!

• Demeter
    17 years ago

As a followup to my above post, I saw a column in today's paper about cleaning out all the debris that's left when a child grows up and goes away to college. So I wrote to the columnist and told her about Freecycling and how she should get rid of her daughter's outgrown things that way. She wrote me back and said not only is she going to do that, but she was going to write a column on Freecycling!

Sponsored
Fairfax Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars53 Reviews
DC Area's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Experts