Return to the Frugal Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help! I need a 20-inch plant drip tray.

Posted by magnoliasouth 8b - Mobile AL (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 14, 12 at 23:05

The pot I've inherited is just beautiful, but there is no tray.

I have searched high and low. I don't understand why I can't find a drip tray for a large pot. The pot is actually 17" in diameter and for the tray to be effective enough, it needs to be about 20" give or take an inch.

I have Googled it until my eyes have crossed. Lowe's doesn't have one, Home Depot doesn't have one, ACE Hardware doesn't have one and of course, Walmart doesn't have one.

Why do they sell pots that size without them?! That doesn't make any sense. There are some of us who have large plants and one that big is not going to get toted outside just to get it watered.

If you have any ideas, I'm all ears. I sure hope you do!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help! I need a 20-inch plant drip tray.

Do a search on Amazon or on any websearch for a "water heater drip pan". You can get them in metal or heavy duty black plastic.

Frank

o

Make one. Get enough cardboard together and get your basic shape cut out. Attach the pieces together then cover the entire thing in a couple layers, or more, of duct tape. (Duct tape even comes in different colors and patterns now.) You can get the exact size and depth that you want.

o

Those large snack trays at Walmart come to mind. also the dollar tree has them for a dollar. A pizza pan maybe?

o

Google "20 inch saucer" and you'll see plenty. Most real nurseries will cary these.

tj

o

Those large snack trays at Walmart come to mind. also the dollar tree has them for a dollar. A pizza pan maybe?
================

My thoughts exactly.

Maybe even an oil pan tray????

How big are 5 gallon buckets? Would a lid from one of those work?

o

Thank you everyone! The Walmart thing didn't fit properly. In the end, I managed to finally find one at Amazon that was big enough. Oddly all the ones I was finding were exactly the size of the bottom of the pot, which made the pot unbalanced sitting on it.

The only problem was that it didn't have any raised ridges to allow room for a pot to drain. So I remembered that I had a bag of large pieces of lava rock I bought a couple of years ago, and never used. I put a few of those in the tray, then set the pot on top. It works beautifully and gives it an interesting look to boot!

I'm so happy to have finally given my tree a happy pot. :)

o

I went to Lowes and bought a large black plastic drip pan for a water heater. I put a plug in the side drain hole and it worked perfectly and was cheaper than one for plants.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Frugal Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here